Monday, July 17, 2006

From a Little Yo-Yo

It all started when my sister, Jackie, gave me a piece of fabric that she found in her inlaw's house as they were cleaning it out. Her mother-in-law liked to sew and had lots of fabrics tucked away in an old trunk.

I get together once a week with a great group of friends who love to quilt at Park Sierra. When I left in May a few of them were making "yo-yos" and they were telling me how fun and easy they are to make, especially while travelling, because of their small size. "It's something you can do on your lap while rolling down the highway." I thought I'd like to try it but forgot to grab some fabric while packing.

Here's a shot of the fabric . . . a bit dated, don't you think?


One of the 210 yo-yos it took for this project.

The fabric I was given dated back to at least the 70s by the color and design. I graciously accepted the gift and thought I'd give that yo-yo idea a try. Well . . . needless to say I got hooked. I began using this fabric . . . then of course, as all good quilters do, I had to add some other colors of fabrics to survive the somewhat boring tedious-ness of making enough yo-yos (not quite 2" in diameter) with which to create something useful. My friends have made whole quilts down to placemats out of tacking yo-yos together until they end up with the size they need. Well . . . that sounded like a whole lot of BORING work to me.

So I decided that since Jackie was the one that got me started on this endeavor, and we have been guests in their house many times, and their guest bed does not currently have any kind of "cover" other than a plain navy blue comforder—that I would make her a decorative one.
I designed it on the computer, K popped for the additional fabric I needed and, when we arrived in Cascadia, I started putting it together.

I made it small enough that I could handle it on my sewing machine, but large enough to cover her double bed. The yo-yos, which turned into flowers, represent her love of flowers, especially those blooming in her rose garden.



I had fun making it and I think she'll like it . . .
although it looks pretty darn cute on our bed.

Life is Good!


8 comments:

jennavar said...

Wow!! Did you finish sewing all those flowers on already? Did you so them by hand? Pretty amazing maaa. I love it and I know AJ will love it too.

CaliforniaGrammy said...

Glad you like it. I loved making it for you. I'll get it in the mail tomorrow. Love you to bits.

Middle America Mom said...

R says "Wow, you made all that? I wonder if you could make another one, how fast would you make it?"

I say that quilt is BEE-U-TI-FUL!!! I KNOW that AJ will love it. It looks just like her. Good Job mom!

kalebsmum said...

You did such a good job on that quilt. I've always admired people who can do them. I need the instant gratification--thats why scrapping is perfect for me!!

CaliforniaGrammy said...

Whoa . . . Uncle Mikie! How nice of you to go to the trouble to be able to send a "comment" - Thanks! Love you too!

The Amazing Trips said...

Such talent!! And such a lucky person to receive such a beautiful gift!!

Padraic and Willie said...

That is such a master piece.

Padraic is back on Shelton WA, from college reunion and visit father in the Bay Area California.

To answer your question:
The "Trash can" next to the comment is for "Delete" purpose. As the blog's owner, you can delete any comment as you wish. Or if you create a comment in other people BLOG, that comment also has a "trash can" that you can delete since you are the author.

Padraic and Willie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.