Thursday, May 24, 2007

A Precious Milestone

While staying with So Cal daughter, JJ, and family for Mother's Day I was a witness to a milestone moment in CD's life. He learned to tie his shoe! I watched him struggle and struggle to push that second loop through the hole and be able to pull the two loops tight without having the whole knot fall apart because it was too loose. I told him I'd give him a dollar if he could do it perfectly three time in a row. (It's amazing how a bribe works!) He was so persistant until he finally got it! And, of course, he collected his dollar and turned around and spent it at the snack bar at JD's baseball game that same day.


But the best part, for me, was when he climbed into his bunk bed that night with the lights out and ready to fall asleep, I heard him say with a big sigh— "Now every one in our family can tie their shoes!" Oh . . . how precious is that!

Life is good!



3 comments:

jennavar said...

Ahhhh... Thanks for sharing. I had this one on my blog in a draft form but never got around to taking a picture of his shoe. Very busy time right now. J just won his first game in the playoffs so we keep going and see how he does in his next one. I owed him 5 bucks because he made a great hit. A grounder right between 1st and 2nd. He also came home twice. Once from a walk and once from his hit. Too fun.

CaliforniaGrammy said...

Way to go JD! I'm so proud, man. I've still got that $20 for you shoud you hit a home run . . . you can collect it in Oregon!

Middle America Mom said...

Way to go, CD!!! R just got that trick down this year -- and he can tie them tight now, which is great. He used to tie them very big and loose and they'd just fall out, to his frustration. T has been working on this too, in his kindergarten class, I think he'll master it this summer. It's funny how it's not as important early on as it used to be because of all the velcro shoes these days!