Saturday, June 02, 2007

On the road again . . .

We finally are able to tear ourselves away from Park Sierra and head north for four months. Right outside of Madera (only 45 minutes from home) a guy in a pickup passed us on the left and was making some kind of hand signals making us aware that something might be wrong with our rig. We pulled over onto a safe spot on the shoulder of I-99. K got out of the truck and walked around. I could see him in the side-view mirror as he walked up along the passenger side of the truck. I opened the door and he said "You might want to come take a look!"—which, of course, I did. And this is what I saw!


I couldn't believe my eyes. We felt NOTHING . . . we could have driven on that thing as it was for a long time, probably until the one next to it might have blown. But the story goes on.

It seems that the tool to get to our spare tire doesn't seem to fit right so our spare tire was of no use to us. After 40 minutes of haggling with the Auto Club about who was going to pay for the tow service (That's a long long story in and of itself!) and then another hour to get the tire off, and the tow-truck driver take K in to town to buy a new tire while I stayed in our truck with the trailer on the highway, and then the time to put the new tire on—we are finally "On the Road Again!"

So, needless to say, today was a long driving day, but we made it to our original goal destination and a cold beer tasted really good!

1 comment:

Middle America Mom said...

What a total bummer!! Thank God that that man was signaling to you! That tire was toast! I'm glad you two are okay. Where are you now?