My sister emailed me a recipe the other day which looked delicious. It's a dessert and who doesn't love a yummy dessert! But of course I had to wait to make it because, as with any new recipe, I didn't have all the ingredients in my pantry or fridge. Yesterday we made a point to go to town during the time and day the farmer's market sets up to buy the fresh pears. The recipe called for two pounds of "firm" pears, so this is what I found at the farmers market. I did have to go to Raley's, though, for some fresh ginger. While there in the produce section I spotted some gorgeous red pears (Scully Crimson) which I've never tried, and the produce worker highly recommended them because they are "the sweetest and juiciest pears I've ever tasted." So, even though I had two pounds of firm Bartlett pears in my possession already, I purchased three more pounds of these red pears and thought maybe I'd mix the two. As I headed home i thought "Now I've got what I need, I can't wait to make this yummy dessert." Here it is!
| "Pear Pie with Cornmeal Crumble" |
| Pears snuggled in a fruit-laden pie topped with crunchy streusel. Using cornmeal is a crumble topping that has never occurred to me before, and I really like the crunchiness it adds. |
Life is good!

4 comments:
I shouldn't have looked at this before breakfast. It looks so good! I'm very pleased with myself now, for having planted two pear trees. They're still too young to produce fruit, but one of these days!
Oh wow, that looks BEAUTIFUL! I'm going to get some of Ape's Bosc pears and try this cornmeal crumble topping. Thanks so much for trying it out and reporting in!
Looks delicious! Will you share the recipe? I have some very firm Bartletts that I picked from my tree a bit too early this year. Might be good with this cornmeal topping.
I have never seen nor heard of a pear pie before, it sure looks good.
Post a Comment