Friday, March 21, 2008

Crab Enchiladas in Healdsburg

This is our last night for our spring visit to Healdsburg. Jackie and I cooked up some delicious enchiladas. I love cooking with Jackie, we have such fun working together in the kitchen coming up with great meals.

We had brought some frozen crab from our catch in Winchester Bay last summer. I had promised I'd make Crab Enchiladas Verdes. The sauce being a "verde" translated "green" sauce is made with yummy ingredients: stewed tomatillos, diced green chiles, sautéed onions and garlic all mixed together, and when cooled it is made into a chunky sauce using a blender. Then that mixture is tossed together with cojita cheese, chopped scallions, cilantro, and crab. This is the filling for the enchiladas, is rolled up in the softened corn tortillas—more sauce is spread on top and the whole thing gets baked covered in the oven for 12 minutes. Sour cream is dolloped on top and baked uncovered a bit more, garnish with scallions and . . . ta-daaaaaa, yummo crab enchiladas. They're pretty easy to make and were enjoyed by all . . . even Cokie had a bit of crab in celebration of her 19th birthday coming up next week.

Sauté some onion, then add a couple cloves of garlic.

Stewed fresh tomatillos. I like using fresh, but the recipe says you can use canned.

Dungeness Crab from Winchester Bay, the key ingredient!

The chefs are enjoying a mean Cosmo while the enchiladas are baking.

Hot out of the oven!

The men are ready to enjoy a sumptuous dinner.

After her share of crab, Cokie was set for the night. Here she is purring on K's lap settling in for a nice long snooze.

4 comments:

A.J. said...

And let me just say, those were THE BEST crab enchiladas I've ever had in my life! Oh my. I'm sure lucky. Fun fun time had by all.

Laura said...

Can you save some for us? Can you add your recipe for the crab enchilades on your blog?
Laura n Gordon

Middle America Mom said...

Ohhhh! Those look so good! I'm glad y'all had such a good visit. That sounds like a nice meal :> Happy Easter!

kalebsmum said...

Happy Late Birthday J...

And another oh so yummy meal that you've posted... Hope that you had a great Easter!