Saturday, May 10, 2008

Country Cat Finds New Home

A couple of weeks ago, while entertaining Gary and Cecile, we heard a loud meow coming up to the deck. A sweet kitty came up and was rubbing against our legs wanting lots of "lovin." I was not in a cat mood at all, and I didn't want anything to do with this stray cat. A week later she came up again, when my sisters and brother-in-law were visiting. Well . . . my sisters are both totally into cats and they really loved this cat. Then our daughter, Jen, and our three grandchildren came by to see the aunties and the adored this cat. I was outnumbered. Jen wanted to take it home so they could have a "barn cat" to keep little critters away from the soon-to-be-chicken coop. We had no idea who this cat belonged to. There was no collar on her. It's against the rules here at Park Sierra to even have a cat without it being on a leash. But, after talking with several members here in the park who thought they might know who the cat belonged to, it was determined that it simply is a stray. It's well know that people drop off cats here when they don't want to care for them anymore because they know somebody will feed'em. This one has apparently been living under our shed for several months. We've been watching out for her, leaving out food and water, waiting for a visit so we could scoop her up for Jen. We saw her a week ago with a lizard in her mouth across the road and she wasn't interested in coming to see us at all. I was bummed because I thought we'd found a good home for her.

She hasn't been around for about a week . . . until about 11 o'clock this morning. K was out on the deck and heard a "meow" and looked over and there she was—coming out from under our shed. K led her into our rig where I called a friend to see if she recognized the cat. Then I called another member who has a multicolored cat and it didn't belong to him, either. I told him about wanting to adopt her and give her a good home and he said "Take it, it's most likely a stray!"
We called Jen to see if she still wanted it and she said "Yes!" . . . I'm in Costco and I'll get some food and everything I need "Hold her there until I get home, which won't be until 6:30 tonight!" The day has gone by very slowly but we've enjoyed this little cat, which the kids have already named "Peanut Butter" (but I think they should call it "Taffy"). She's quite a talker but has calmed down a lot compared to the noise she produced this morning. She's quite content with a loud purr. I think she'll love her new home. Actually she'll be their first animal to move in since their move from Southern California in December. Then come the two baby goats, and then the 24 baby chicks!

Isn't she a cutie?

She's quite content on the couch, and loves to sit on our laps . . . even on top of the laptop computer is nice as far as she's concerned!

Life is good . . . especially sharing it with animals!


5 comments:

kalebsmum said...

Ahhh...

Happy Mother's Day J...

Just got back from Dland. More details to follow...

Gary & Cecile Thompson said...

Glad to see that you found a good home for the cat! It is a cutie!

TravelingGrammy said...

Are you sure you don't want peanut butter/taffy to stay at your house? Happy Mother's Day!

A.J. said...

Oh, I'm so glad to hear that you got in more of a "cat mood" to babysit Peanut Butter until she was officially adopted and driven off to her new home!

But I must appeal to the rule-makers at Park Sierra and simply pose this question:

How can a cat keep his tail perpendicular, or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride, if he's stuck on the end of a leash?

CaliforniaGrammy said...

I was just told by my husband, a past Board president, that it's now Park Sierra's rule, it's the California state rule (under Title 25) that states that all pets must be on a leash. K was thinking of getting a pet chicken . . . Hmmmmmmm.