"Our" garden is actually over at our neighbor's property in the Hoop House she so graciously shares with us. We brought with us a dozen tomato plants which were planted from special seeds (see earlier post of the first part of July) that were purchased from Bountiful Gardens. These seeds are for short seasons like the ones we get in Oregon. We've planted similar seeds for the past three years. Only a couple of times did we get "a" red tomato. I doubt this year will be any different since our plants now (end of August!) only have a few tiny green tomatoes (I'll take a picture next time I go). The tomatoes above were from plants that Karen planted, buying them in a six-pack from a local nursery. Hers are doing great, as you can see. After seeing her crop I think we've pretty much decided that planting the special seeds is not the way to go in the future. We also picked a bunch of beautiful string beans which graced our dinner table tonight and were delicious. And those little orange cherry tomatoes are as sweet as candy, I kid you not! Thanks Karen.
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Five Minutes in the Garden
"Our" garden is actually over at our neighbor's property in the Hoop House she so graciously shares with us. We brought with us a dozen tomato plants which were planted from special seeds (see earlier post of the first part of July) that were purchased from Bountiful Gardens. These seeds are for short seasons like the ones we get in Oregon. We've planted similar seeds for the past three years. Only a couple of times did we get "a" red tomato. I doubt this year will be any different since our plants now (end of August!) only have a few tiny green tomatoes (I'll take a picture next time I go). The tomatoes above were from plants that Karen planted, buying them in a six-pack from a local nursery. Hers are doing great, as you can see. After seeing her crop I think we've pretty much decided that planting the special seeds is not the way to go in the future. We also picked a bunch of beautiful string beans which graced our dinner table tonight and were delicious. And those little orange cherry tomatoes are as sweet as candy, I kid you not! Thanks Karen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Yumm-O -- I love to harvest from the garden. So, you still don't have RED tomatos yet?? You poor guys! We have three thriving plants and have gone through our green beans. T's excited because we have a watermellon that we'll be picking tomorrow. I asked the amish farmer at the farmer's market when to pick them and he said "when the three curly-q's that are near the stem - when those are brown for 2-3 days." Well, T let me know yesterday that they were brown, so we're picking it tomorrow and taking it to Shady Shores to share this weekend.
I think that I recognize some of those veggies!
Post a Comment