Sunday, February 08, 2009

JD'S Day to Shine

Since our Southern California grandkids have moved up to our mountain, they have all become totally engrossed in country living . . . home-schooling, sports of all kinds, and especially their animals . . . chickens, rabbits, and goats. The raising of the animals also means membership in their local 4-H club. Today was the opportunity to show what they've learned about "Small Animals" at the 4-H Skills Day at the Madera Fairgrounds. KL had to stay home because of illness, so JD was the only one showing his chicken. He did a great job in all categories and we are so proud of him!

I called this "Test and Wait" because the first couple of hours of the afternoon was just that. JD entering at Level 1, had to identify eight different grains used for chicken feed, identify 13 birds, and determine "Keep or Cull" chickens. That took him about a half-hour and the rest of the time was spent waiting in line, with Pepper in his arms (or out, depending how much the chicken wiggled and "escaped" for a minute while JD chased him and captured him again . . . we weren't sure if this was purposefully done just to distract himself from the boredom of waiting in line). He was waiting his turn to go before the judge to answer questions, and show the judge that he knew all about the different physical parts of a chicken.

JD and Pepper waiting patiently for their turn to shine.

When JD walked up to the judge's table, Pepper was a bit nervous and wanted out . . . after all, this was her first performance in front of a judge.


But JD calmed her down and went through the routine of pointing out the various aspects of a chicken he was being judged on, and both he and Pepper did a great job.


Here is Jen and Pepper. As you can see, Jen loves her chickens too! The kids are blessed with such a great, supportive mom and dad . . . and in turn they are blessed with three great kids!


And when the afternoon was over, JD came home with a "Medal" for his 4-H hat . . . the best prize he could have won today.
Way to go JD!

Life is good!

11 comments:

jennavar said...

Wow! Am I impressed with the pictures that you capture. Thank you so much for documenting a wonderful day. I truly am thankful. I love the pictures (boys cracked up so hard of the one where Pepper is trying to get away}. I love how you were able to get the medal too. I thought for sure you wouldn't be able to get any details on it with it being so shiny! Nicely done. Thanks for sharing the "hurry up and wait" day with us.

Farmer Jen said...

Excellent!

Danni said...

Wow - loved this post. I didn't know what all went into a 4-H testing event. I'm impressed with all that JD knows, too. Could I identify 8 grains that go into chicken feed? Hmmm...
The 13 birds...were they different chicken breeds that he had to recognize?
Congratulations, JD!!

CaliforniaGrammy said...

Hi Danni,
The bird identification poster showed mostly chickens, however I did see a duck or two. Yesterday the 4-H Skill Day covered small animals including chickens, ducks, birds, rabbits, and dogs. Being a city girl all my life, I've come to really appreciate and admire 4-H and all that they teach our kids. It is such a nurturing program in all areas.

Middle America Mom said...

Whoo Hoo JD!! We're so proud, man! You look like you were concentrating hard. I love your plaid jacket too, it makes you look like a farmer. Keep up the good work.

Too bad KL was sick!

A.J. said...

What a beautiful chicken that Pepper is! And JD did so great, way to go! Great post too!

kalebsmum said...

Great job to JD and Pepper!!

Henri said...

Wow! What a fantastic blog! I really need to catch-up. OK, after the test from hell. it is in 2 weeks and I have not yet reached the terror stage yet. Thats next week. At the moment I am just trying to get all the law I can crammed into my head!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for leaving a comment! I have been knitting away and am happy to send you some if you like. :) They are are comfy and cozy as they look, for the most part. I am learning how to felt so I'll be blogging about that too. :) If you see some that you like, please lay claim! Also, let me know what size shoe you wear so they will fit for sure. :) I have also successfully made my first pair for men so . . . a mixed match pair is always an option. :)

Thanks for keeping in touch and I hope we get to see you guys soon in the flesh not just virtually! Mom is headed to South East Asia this weekend so she will be gone for 2 weeks but after that we are home. Also Martin will be here for a month this summer - Late June to late July so that will be a hoot too! :)

take care and blog at you soon!
henri

Henri said...

BTW, you aren't on facebook are you?

Aunt Patty said...

Great job JD!! I really like your new hair style, it is sooo handsome! Pepper is very handsome too. Won't that medal look good on your hat. Nice going JD!

Aunt Patty said...

One more thing- great shot of JJ and Pepper, love it!