Friday, February 27, 2009

Final port . . . Nassau, Bahamas

The week flew by and we still had one more port to see, Nassau. Our ship was late arriving due to the Captain's wise decision to sail around some bad weather during the night. When we got off the ship we only had a couple hours (since we were assigned early seating in the dining room and we didn't want to spend more money to eat in town when the food was so good on board and had already been paid for!) to see all we could see—which really left us no time to see Nassau, but just enough time to find some souvenirs for the grandkids. As you can see by the pictures, we were the fourth ship to dock . . . too darn many tourists crowding the part of town near the dock!

Three ships had docked ahead of us . . . hmmmmm, could be lots of people in town! And the Captain pulled right in between those first two ships, amazing!

Isn't the color of the water spectacular? And I loved this sweet little light house—all lighthouses remind me of my mid-western son-in-law!

And here I am with my Vera Bradley bag . . . a Christmas gift I finally got to use because I don't carry a purse much these days. I loved having it and it went so nicely with my outfit, don't you think?

On Saturday, the morning we left the ship, we received under our cabin door the last daily newsletter. Here are some interesting facts published from the Navigator's log. During our cruise, MSC ORCHESTRA has covered the following sections:
From Fort Lauderdale to Cayo Levantado . . . 784 miles
From Cayo Levantado to Philipsburg, St. Maartens . . . 364 miles
From Philipsburg to St. John, Antigua . . . 88 miles
From Antigua to Nassau, Bahamas . . . 1028 miles
From Nassau to Fort Lauderdale . . . 180 miles

During this cruise, the following provisions have been consumed (like we really needed to know how much we ate!):
Potatoes . . .14,550 lbs.
Mixed Salads . . .9,480 lbs
Mixed Vegetables . . .8,819 lbs
Onions . . .6,394 lbs
Garlic . . .287 lbs
Fruit 46,297 lbs
Frozen Vegetables . . .6,393 lbs
Meat . . .13,889 lbs
Frozen Meat . . .3,307 lbs
Chicken . . .4,630 lbs
Frozen Fish . . .10,803 lbs
Crayfish . . .661 lbs
Pasta . . .7,005 lbs
Rice . . .4,189 lbs
Eggs . . .52,000
Flour . . .11,244 lbs
A total of 147,998 pounds . . . nearly 74 tons . . . let's see, divide that by 4000 (guests and crew included) oh, who cares? Of course I see they didn't include sugar or butter in their calculations . . . hmmmmmm!

It was a great cruise and so much fun with our good buddies Gary and Cecile!

Life is good!

5 comments:

A.J. said...

Oh what a great cruise, and such beautiful views. The water is spectacular! You look fabulous with your designer bag! What's that on your head, though, a headband? It's cute too.

I liked reading all the posts, you did a good job sharing this special trip with us! You guys have a lot of fun together, and what a fun way to celebrate the big anniversary.

jennavar said...

I am just flabbergasted at the amount of food on the ship... where do they store it all? Can you imagine the size of the pantry! Is that for real? Amazing. The water is brilliant. I have not seen water as clear as that..absolutely beautiful! You look very stylish too I might add!

Middle America Mom said...

You look fabulous in your Vera Bradley bag! It matches you and that beautifully colored sea you were on. What a great trip -- with a lot of great food :>

BeBopGrammie said...

Beautiful surroundings for your cruise. I remember getting that list of consumed at the end of my Alaska cruise and I am sure I will get one at the end of my Carribean cruise too...as if we need to think about all of that after having consumed...maybe if they gave us a list of what the last passenger load consumed, we would be a little more mindful....HA! NO WAY, they keep us well fed and never hungry.

Danni said...

Oh....I've been here....it was lovely. I really would like to do a cruise again...they are so much fun. Was it hard to come back home?

Here's my shot of Nassau: http://critterfarmgirl.blogspot.com/2008/01/wordless-wednesday-in-my-mind-today-im.html