Wednesday, March 04, 2009

The Goats Need Coats

We're learning things about goats every day. The baby goats, Cover Girl and Joey, came to Simply Country Farm when they were just weened from their mama last spring. And then Joey's big sister, Destiny (the one with the prize-winning udder) came early summer. We've so far learned about milking goats, feeding goats, and have loved getting to know each of their personalities. Now Destiny is about to give birth to twins, or possibly triplets, so that will be yet another adventure!

But something new we've learned about goats is that they need coats to keep warm in our cold winter months. A goat coat? Hmmmmmm . . . I've never seen one, in fact I've never heard of such a thing until now! But thanks to good ol' Google, I can find out just about anything on the internet and there it was, complete instructions on how to make a Goat Coat requiring taking measurements from shoulder to hip, around the belly, etc!

Then I found out something even better. Jennifer had a set of coats she had borrowed and needed to return, so I just made a pattern from them and had a great time making them. They are made with a sturdy cotton outside layer with a soft fleece lining.

I had a good time sewing these goat coats, something I've never thought in my wildest dreams of every doing.

Here are from left: Cover Girl, Joey, and Destiny the other day when it was a nice sunny day.

Here they are today. It was too muddy to go inside the gate so the pictures have the gate between us. But you can see that we need to make some adjustments to the goat coats. They tend to slip and slide around their bellies!

I'm not sure why Destiny, on the left, wasn't wearing her coat but here you see her with Joey. I love the way the chickens, especially the one in the center, want to be in the picture too!


And this is Cover Girl modeling her lovely coat. Note that she is standing with all four hooves on a rock . . . so she doesn't get her feet muddy!

Life is Good!



8 comments:

Farmer Jen said...

Goat coats! Cracks me up. You are very creative and handy with that sewing machine. I love that you made goat coats. Great photos too.

kalebsmum said...

JL... From a quilt from old shorts to goat coats! Great photos to show what you did and how the goats were "modeling" their coats! Thanks for sharing!

A.J. said...

I love the goat coats! I love saying goat coats!

Lucky for those goats that your are talented enough to make them coats. (Somehow Dr. Seuss is coming to mind.)

The pictures are great, they really show how beautiful those goats are. And the coats!

(Can they wear them on a boat, can they wear them in a moat?)

BeBopGrammie said...

Goat Coats, who knew? Where do they get a coat if they are a wild Mountain goat? Or do they just hunker down somewhere. I am with A.J. Dr. Seuss missed out on an opportunity. How about this:

I had a goat a goat I had, then winter came and it was sad

the wind was blowing
the sky was snowing

my goat was shivering
and I was quivering

Can't keep going .. should any one want to add to it, we might have a fun outcome.

A.J. said...

Take it Kenny!

jennavar said...

The goats do love their coats oh yes they do. For some reason they stayed on a little better today. Thank you so much for making fantastic goat coats in such a timely manner at that. I can't wait to see the lil' goats in their little green tubes.

Danni said...

Aw, coats for goats. You are truly talented! :-)
Now, what about hats for henpecked heads? Can you make those?

Aunt Patty said...

Oh, now I get it! I was thinking the goat coats were for the babies when they came. So- big goats need
coats too!!