Monday, March 09, 2009

Rabbit Hutches Go 3-D!

We've been working very hard trying to get these rabbit hutches finished so that our Simply Country farm bunnies can have a beautiful place to live, rather than being in a small cage in the garage. Today was a great day in that we were able to assemble all the pieces we've been working on for the past couple of weeks . . . give or take a few days here and there for our other busy-ness in addition to the drizzly weather we've had too. Today the temperature stayed in the 40s, never reaching 50 degrees and quite breezy, but we plugged along. I thought you'd like to admire our progress.

A bit intimidated by some of Ken's equipment, I soon grew more comfortable with the "chop saw," the power stapler, the drill/driver, and my friend the sander did miracles on de-splintering the parts which will be handled by the kids. It was also my job to take measurements when needed before cutting the wood.

It was exciting to be able finally put the different pieces together. It was kind of like pre-fabrication of each side before we assembled the first hutch.

With the floor and back installed we were able to finish, all but the roof and the privacy wall, the first hutch.

The privacy wall to protect the rabbit from the elements or if he/she just wants to be alone.

The second one always goes together much easier than the first. Tomorrow's project will be to put on the roofs. It will take another day or two, providing the weather is good, to paint them before they head up the mountain to their new home.

Life is good!

5 comments:

Farmer Jen said...

Very nice!

BeBopGrammie said...

They are so much nicer than the ones we had behind the garage at 271...just think the droppings will serve as fertilizer.

It also appears that you have a new neighbor since the last time I was there...I don't remember that one across from the end of your driveway.

Middle America Mom said...

Wow! Those look great! They almost look professional. I bet you're so proud man.

jennavar said...

The rabbits noses are twitching in excitement for the new homes. They look awesome and you guys are awesome.

Aunt Patty said...

How considerate you are with those bunnies! I never thought about bunnies might like their privacy. Pretty lucky bunnies I think!