Saturday, October 24, 2009

Fall . . . Apples . . . Just having fun!

Jen has a friend who invited her over yesterday to make apple pie filling to fill the freezer with apples she collected from a neighbor's tree—for free. The neighbor never picks his apples and just lets them fall to the ground. She called me this morning to tell me about her day and mentioned this "gadget" that peels, cores, and slices the apples. When I told her that I've had one of these handy tools for nearly 15 years and have never used it, she invited us over to help her finish her apple pie filling from a huge box of apples she brought home. So we brought over the apple gadget, which will now stay in Jen's pantry where it will get used more often. We went over early today to help her and by the end of the day we had enough apple pie filling to fill four large apple pies. We baked one for dinner for us all to enjoy, plus we got to bring a bag of apple pie filling for our freezer. Come see how easy this gadget works!

The boys were eager to help out, since they were involved with yesterday's project at their friend's house. And they were excited that I had the very same tool they used.

It took me a couple tries before I figured out how simple it really was.

It spiral-cuts the apple so that all you have to do is cut the apple in half and you have lots of uniform slices.

JD pitched in and did his share of the work.

Many hands make light work. Jen soaks the slices in water treated with absorbic acid to keep the apples from turning brown.


Of course we had to take a break, and what better way than to go out with the animals. The chickens and the goats and the horse all enjoyed the cores and peelings of the apples.

KL has had her horse, Angie, for a week now, and absolutely loves her!

Jen is getting to feel quite comfortable riding Angie, too.

The apples get simmered for ten minutes, drained and sprinkled with a bit of sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg . . . then they are put into zip-lock bags and stored in the freezer until ready to use.

A slice of this pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream was the perfect way to end a fun and productive day.

Life is good!

7 comments:

TravelingGrammy said...

Oh, yum! I can smell the apples and cinnamon and other spices.....and Oh, I want a oiece of that pie! Did Jen tell you we met at the grocery store?

Aunt Patty said...

Great way to take care of all those apples that fella doesn't use. I remember seeing one of those gadgets, it is a neat thing. A real time saver!! I may want to do what you did one day, if our neighbors tree produces. That pie looks good enough to eat! Fun to see Angie in the back yard with KL and Jen both looking so comfy riding her. Like that smile on JD, I bet he loved working that gadget. Lil C looks pretty happy himself.

Farmer Jen said...

I have one of those apple gadgets and use it all the time. It is wonderful! Mine has a suction cup thingy on the base instead of a clamp, so it sticks to the countertop for stability. You can peel potatoes with it too.

I can smell that apple pie from here! Beautiful horse, by the way. What did she name it?

Middle America Mom said...

I can just smell those deelicious pies cooking now! Yummo! That's the smell of Fall.

CaliforniaGrammy said...

Hi Farmer Jen,
The horse's name is Angie. See Oct 18 blog to learn more about her!

Mary and Elaine said...

Our mouths are salivating just looking at that pie and thinking about having a piece with some vanilla ice cream! You always seem to have some project going on and the results are always FABULOUS!
Miss you two.
Love, Mary & Elaine

Laura said...

You are the most busy person I know. I love all you do and am so happy you can share with all of us.
Thanks, Laura