Thursday, October 06, 2011

Keep the Home Fire Burning

I couldn't remember where this idiom originated, so when things like that happen to my memory I rely on good old "Google" And here is one answer it came up with: "Asked of women waiting at home while their husbands and sons were away fighting the war (World War I). Keep the house warm (they only had fireplaces in those days) and welcoming until I get home. Don't give up on me. Keep your spirits up." 

Today was the first time we gathered some wood and lit up our new wood stove for the first time since it was installed a couple months ago when it was in the 90s outside and I felt sorry for the installers who were up on the roof fiddling with the chimney.

It not only warms our new place up, it certainly does its job well by lifting up our spirits at the same time.


Life is good!

5 comments:

sandra said...

I love the warm glow :)

Farmer Jen said...

Woodstoves are the best! Warm and penetrating heat that lasts a long time. Nice looking stove too.

I haven't lit mine yet this season, but I will soon.

Aunt Patty said...

Sooooo pretty, love it!!

Leigh said...

What a happy photo. Love your brickwork. Love the stove. One of these days we'll get cold enough to fire ours up too.

jackie said...

Beautiful stove! Winter weather, Bring it on!