To me the term "Summer Garden" means succulent tomatoes and abundant basil. We did pretty well in one of those departments . . . we're still waiting on the tomatoes.
 |
| I know it looks like a giant ball of mistletoe, but it's actually a giant bouquet of basil. |
 |
| I harvested four armloads just like this one . . . we had planted three varieties of basil this year. Each one is supposedly good for making pesto, which we love to make and use throughout the year. |
 |
| Washed, spun dry, and ready for the food processor. |
 |
| Only five ingredients . . . basil, pine nuts, garlic, EVOO, and Parmigiano-Reggiano. |
 |
| I made six double-recipes. |
 |
| I ended up with enough Pesto for 25 meals-for-two. I put a half cup in a freezer zip-lock bag (enough for the two of us when I make pesto-pasta with grilled shrimp or chicken), spread it out nice and flat, and stacked them up ready for the freezer. |
Life is good!
5 comments:
Beautiful!! Love that incredible green in your last photo...
What, though, is EVOO?
And...do you add your parmesan and then freeze or add your cheese when you're ready to eat it? I read somewhere that one shouldn't freeze cheese, so I always wait to add mine until we thaw the pesto for a meal.
You had a most amazing harvest, Janice!
I've got all those ingredients, maybe I'll try my hand at that. I have a beautiful basil plant that probably should come inside now that the weather is turning.
Your pest looks fantastically delicious! I made some last year from my abundance of basil, but it turned out thick and lumpy.
And for Danni, the problem with freezing cheese is that it changes the texture, i.e. makes it crumbly. Not good for slicing cheese, but for grated cheese, who cares. Think of all those ready-made frozen lasagnas you can buy at the grocery store!
Um. Make that "pesto", not "pest", LOL
Wow, what a lot of work! But that's my "nothing to it but to do it" sister! And how wonderful to have all that yummy pesto ready and waiting in the freezer. It looks really beautiful!
Post a Comment