Friday, February 17, 2012

Making Memories in Michigan

We just returned from a whirlwind trip to Michigan to see our mid-western family. Our daughter and son-in-law with their two boys enjoy a very busy life and we had the privilege of spending three days with them. The scheduled activities were plentiful and we had a blast experiencing all of them: a basketball game, a fencing lesson, one of the boys crossing over to Boy Scouts, and an awesome science fair project. Such a great visit

The forecast, before leaving for Michigan, was clear skies in the 40s . . . so much for the weather man. This is the view taken from their front porch the first morning we were there. Burr-willies!

First on the agenda was attending Thomas' basketball game. Thomas is new at the sport, however the kid in orange never, and I mean NEVER, got the ball while Thomas guarded him.

Final score . . . we're the home team.

Having raised two daughters, I had no idea what to expect at a Boy Scout crossing over ceremony. I was quite impressed! Thomas, third from the left, and his fellow den members all earned their Arrow of Light badge. This is incredible and is the only badge they are allowed to take with them and wear on the Boy Scout uniform.

Here he is "crossing over" to become a member of the awaiting Boy Scout troop.

His brother, Riley, is welcoming him into the troop and tying on the new Boy Scout troop kerchief.

One mighty proud Boy Scout!

One proud mom!

Son-in-law, Mike, was honored for all the hard work he has done over the last seven years bringing the pack membership from six to over forty Cub Scouts. Now he'll go on to assist with the boy's Boy Scout troop!

We gave both boys a cool "coin knife" engraved with their names on the reverse side. It made a nice gift commemorating their "Arrow of Light" badge and crossing over into Boy Scouts. Riley achieved this two years ago.

Monday night we watched their Fencing lesson . . . something we've never experienced up close and personal!

Here's Riley on the left . . . I can't help but chuckle when I look at his costume of choice, at least from the waist down. He absolutely loves this sport!

Thomas also loves fencing . . . the lesson was two hours long and they never took a break!
Riley built a Telsa Coil for the Science Fair. He loved talking about it to both adults and students (who were quite impressed) at the fair. We just learned this morning that he took First Place . . . way to go!

Life is good!

6 comments:

kalebsmum said...

That's so neat that you were able to see your midwest daughter and her family! It sounds like they are very busy! It was great to see that you now have two grandson's in scouts!!

Aunt Patty said...

What a wonderful visit to spend time with an awesome family. Those boys are pretty darn special, and Wow!! First place in a science fair project. I would love to hear him explain it. Really happy for you and Ken to have this great visit. Pretty nice to have your brother meet and greet you when you "cross over" to Boy Scouts!!

GreyWolf said...

As an ex-Explorer Scout, Cub Scout Leader and Assistant Boy Scout Leader, I really appreciate your enthusiasm towards the Scouting program. It is great that they are both into Scouting. My brother and I had many years of great times in Explorer Scouts(kind of an advanced Boy Scout then). Yes our weathermen here in MI have a hard time predicting the weather that has to cross all of that water around us. Where in MI do they live?

Leigh said...

Wow, fencing lessons. I've never known anyone to do that! The crossing over ceremony looks really special. I hope he continues all the way through Eagle.

TravelingGrammy said...

What treasures our grandchildren are! So glad you had the opportunity to see the boys and their special events!

sandra said...

What a fun, but short, trip! I'm so glad you were able to see a slice of our fun and crazy lives! We love you guys!