Thursday, April 05, 2012

A Childhood Memory . . .

I'm not sure what brought this memory into mind. However I do think of my Auntie Mabel often. Every family must have a favorite aunt and it is my feeling that Auntie Mabel was just that person in mine. She was my mom's older sister and was just a whole lot of fun to be with. Auntie Mabel could do anything (in my child's eye) and it was she who made my dream wedding dress from a drawing I gave her, using a pattern she created herself.

And it was Auntie Mabel who made an apple pie using Ritz crackers. Ken and I remember, as teenagers, eating her Mock Apple Pie and being amazed there was not even one apple in it. And it was that memory that brought me thinking about how much I enjoyed my Auntie Mabel.

I followed the recipe precisely and was pleased with its appearance as I removed it from the oven . . .

When I served it up for dessert Ken and I were anxious to see if our memory served us right . . . I'm afraid it did not! This Mock Apple Pie was delicious, however it tasted more like a lemon pie. The recipe calls for two tablespoons lemon juice and the zest of one lemon. I'm wondering if our lemons today are larger than those of the 1950s. Sadly it didn't taste like we remembered Auntie Mabel's tasting, however we did enjoy it. And it was fun to bake it honoring my favorite aunt!

Life is good!

7 comments:

jackie said...

Oh, too bad it didn't taste exactly like apple pie, just like we remembered it did! I'll bet Auntie Mabel's recipe didn't call for lemon juice and rind. But a nice looking pie all the same.

Leigh said...

Well, being a lemon pie lover you'd get no complaints from me! I've wondered about those lemons too. ALso wondering, did you add apple pie spices? Glad you still enjoyed it.

Aunt Patty said...

What a nice tribute to our Dear Auntie Mabel. I really loved her too! That's a real mystery that it didn't taste the same. Maybe it does have something to do with the size of the lemons. Will we ever know the answer???

kalebsmum said...

I love those type of family memories! Doug's mom also made a mock apple pie that I was amazed that it didn't have a lick of apple in it :)

Jennifer said...

I was so hoping it tasted like apple pie! I think we were just talking about it at dinner the other night. What a gorgeous looking pie though!

sandra said...

That is a beautiful looking pie. I'm glad it tasted good, even if it didn't live up to your memories.

Farmer Jen said...

I've seen this pie recipe on the box of Ritz crackers over the years, but have never baked it. I may give it a try. Some lemons taste more "sour" than others. Maybe try a Meyer lemon next time? They are a bit sweeter.