I went to our local farmers market the other day to purchase some plums for my annual batch of plum jam. I needed ten pounds and the vendor only had five on hand. She said many of her customers used pluots (pronounced plooo-otts) to make a delicious jam so I walked away with five pounds of Burgundy Plums and Dapple Dandy Pluots. I had no idea what a pluot was and was told that they are a cross between a plum and an apricot, developed in the late 20th century after the plumcot or apriplum. Pluots are later-generations that show more plum than apricot characteristics. The fruit's exterior has smooth skin closely resembling that of a plum. When I got home I was anxious to cut one up and give it a taste. Oh my gosh, it was so sweet and delicious! Today I made a batch of Pluot Jam . . .
 |
| Dapple Dandy Pluots |
 |
| I ended up with 8 1/2 pints of delicious Pluot Jam to share. I love to use my jams as gifts throughout the year. |
It was a hot day today in the high 90s but that wasn't the bummer . . . the bummer was as I was setting up my prize jars of jam to take this picture, I knocked one over and it smashed into smithereens on the aggragate flooring! We've lived in this house for a year and a half and I've never dropped anything on the floor . . . what a mess to clean up.
Life is good!
8 comments:
Oh so sorry, so sticky, broken glass, no fun. Local fruit stand here has had Pulots for several years. Some are more yellow/greenish and some are more red like plums. If you make peach jam next be careful setting up for pictures. One local fruit stand had 10 pounds of peaches for $5.00 this week, I was tempted but these 100+ days we continue to have gets that idea right out of my mind, quick.
I have never heard of a pluot before but they sound delicious.
Tomebstone Livestock: Wow, 10 pounds of peaches for five bucks . . . such a deal! I wish I knew where you shop. After googling "pluots" I learned there are about eight varieties each with a unique coloring.
GreyWolf: I think I've seen them at Vons but have never tried them.
Oh, they look so yummy! I'm sorry I didn't get the usual supply of apricots this year....but that jam will go in a millesecond!
Such a beautiful color, those plots!! Don't think I've ever tasted one before. I love how you arrange such pretty settings for your pictures! That jam looks good enough to eat!
The Michigan Smiths love pluots! We call them "dinosaur eggs." I'm sure we'd love some dinosaur egg jam...hint, hint... :)
I'm back online and trying to get caught up! I've never heard of pluots but they look delish. So does the jam.
My favorite pluots were some juicy dried ones that Trader Joe's used to sell a few years ago. The sugars were nicely concentrated in the dried fruit. Natural candy. Sadly, TJs does not carry them anymore. Your jam looks beautiful!
Post a Comment