Tuesday, June 25, 2013

First Apricot Harvest

A year and a half ago we planted five fruit trees—two cherry trees, an apricot, nectarine, and a plum tree. The apricot is the first to produce fruit this summer. The other trees most likely will start next summer.

We were forced to pick them a bit early because the birds, even though we draped the tree in bird netting, figured a way to get in and start to devour the fruit. What you see here is the total fruit for this year.

This is this morning's batch, there are enough apricots left to do this once again tomorrow . . . a total of eight pints for the pantry and gifts.

Final count . . . 17 half-pints of delicious Apricot Jam!


Life is good!

3 comments:

Farmer Jen said...

A lovely harvest! My apricot had a few fruits this year, but the squirrels and birds got to them before I could net or harvest them. We picked apricots from a friend's tree for her and brought home a bunch to eat and freeze. I made 2 apricot crisps this week and froze the rest of the fruit for pies or jams later in the summer.

sandra said...

Gifts?.... I like Gifts!

Leigh said...

They're gorgeous! When I was a kid, I didn't care for apricots. Perhaps I should try them again. It's amazing how our tastes change.