Thursday, January 05, 2006

It's Ready To Quilt!


I wasn't blogging back in May of 2005 so some of you may not know the story of the gift that daughter J gave me on Mother's Day. (I write like I have hundreds of fans!)

The story starts back in 1961 when Ken went back to Chicago to finish his degree. We were engaged at the time and I bought myself a kit to make a quilt for my hope chest. We were planning on having Early American furniture for our home when we got married so I chose a pretty cross-stitched rose patterned quilt top. I started in on what was to be a time-consuming job but I did get it nearly half-way done by the time S was born. . . nearly three years later. I think at that time I folded it up, put it in a box, and tucked it in the top shelf of my closet.


1999 came around and we had sold our home and had a huge garage sale to get rid of our "stuff" making ready for our new adventure of becoming fulltime RVers and living the good life. At the garage sale I told daughter J and her best friend L (they were in charge of the sale) to just sell the partially-completed quilt - that I'd rather have someone else finish it and enjoy it - that I would never be able to finish it. L exclaimed "No way!, I'll finish it . . . there's no way I can let a stranger have this!"


Well, nearly six years later, after I have come to love quilting, I thought of that quilt and thought that, if L hadn't done anything with it, I would take it back and finish it at this time. I asked J to ask L for it the next time she talked with her. A couple of months later I asked her again and she said that L couldn't seem to find it (she had moved a couple of times in the meantime) but she knew she'd find it. Little did I know that J had brought the quilt back to her house nearly two years ago and had been working on it and even 10-year-old K worked on it too! They wanted to finish it for me and give it back all finished! Bless their sweet hearts!
After I nagged at her a bit she decided, after talking with her sister, to just give it back to me as is and I could finish it myself! Was I ever surprised when I opened this quilt which I thought I'd never see again, last Mother's Day.

Here it is today, cross-stitching all finished, ready to be quilted. I have located a lady back in Tennessee who works with a community of Amish quilters and she is going to have it hand-quilted for me. I am so excited. This will be a three-generation quilt and will be treasured for many years to come! Thank you L, J, and K! I couldn't have done this without you.

5 comments:

Middle America Mom said...

Oh, Mom! How great to see it. When J told me about it and asked my advice, I had know idea what that thing looked like. It will be beautiful! Isn't it soo sweet that J (and K) wanted to finish it for you!! But you had to keep on bugging her :> I'm psyched for you.

Middle America Mom said...

Okay, okay. I really do know how to spell -- even though I spelled "no" as k-n-o-w above...

CaliforniaGrammy said...

Yes it was very sweet . . . but I'm glad it worked out this way because it truly was a whole bunch of work and I'm not sure if we'd see it in the near future if they took the whole thing on themselves (quilting, especially). Tee Hee :> I'm trying to remember if you ever did see it. I think maybe when you were three I might have had it out for the last time. I remember doing it a bit while working at the bank in Highland Park then.

Aunt Patty said...

J, it is very beautiful, and so valuable with the three generation thing. It seems that we should be thanking L as she is the one who rescued it from the garage sale. For what size bed is it?? I love the roses, it looks so old fashioned and sweet.Almost called you to tell you I signed up for a beginner's quilting class, but will put it on hold till after we
are resettled. The teacher said I had to take a rotary cutting class before I took this class.

CaliforniaGrammy said...

Thank you greatauntip for pointing out that I had neglected to say "thank you" to L. . . You bet, if it hadn't been for her this quilt would be on somebody else's bed. It is sized for a double bed - which we finally have in our Woodland Park.