Monday, February 06, 2006

Happy Birthday "Grandkid 101"

We're using our Thousand Trails membership and enjoying a spot in Soledad Canyon. It's been pretty windy and is supposed to be 20-30 mph winds today so we've decided to head home tomorrow instead of today! The winds will die down to 5 mph by tomorrow according to the weather man.

We've had a great weekend with J and P and the kids celebrating KL's 11th birthday. She had a friend over and they had fun with their American Girl dolls most of the afternoon. J and P barbecued some awesome hamburgers with all the fixings. Presents were opened—quite a few horse-themed gifts were happily received but the icing on the cake was a bicycle from mom and dad!



Roasting marshmallows
out in the backyard firepit and making gooey S'Mores followed by singing around the campfire topped the off the evening.




Then, of course, after the guest was taken home and the kids tucked in the "hangout room" watching a movie, J and P, and K and I played another set of Pegs and Jokers with the women winning this time 3 games over the guys 1— The night before (Friday) we played just two games and the guys won both.) So the weekend ended up with the Pegs and Jokers "tournament" being tied up!

When we were down at Christmas time JD asked me to make his GI Joe dolls some pants because somehow the original ones had been lost in the move. So I brought with me a dozen pair to sew on J's brand new machine. J enjoyed some time teaching KL how to sew her own doll patterns. They spent time laying out two outfits for KL's doll. J is making a shorts outfit using a pair of shorts that she doesn't wear anymore because they're too big, and KL decided to make a dress. KL concentrated really hard on getting the right pattern pieces she needed and I showed her how to lay out the pattern keeping an eye on the fabric grain. She did a great job. I learned how to sew when I was her age so I'm especially proud of her. I look forward to seeing the finished garments!






Sunday we went to church together, followed by "grazing" on appetizers most of the day watching the Super Bowl Game—Go Pittsburg! (My daddy was raised in Pittsburg!)

Life is Good—especially when spending a weekend with family.

3 comments:

Aunt Patty said...

Oh what a great weekend! You bet life is good when you get to enjoy all that wonderful family. I love all the pictures, will try to print them out. I especially love the one of JD with his GI Joe dolls and him wanting you to make some pants for him. What a neat fire pit J and P have. I bet KL is excited about learning to sew, and if you did it at her age that probably inspires her alot.

Middle America Mom said...

Yay! A new post filled with great pics!!! I love the GI Joe pants for JD and it's so great to see KL learning how to sew. She looks sooo grown up! I'm glad you had a great trip.

jennavar said...

What a great time we had! I love having you guys here and so do the kids. J is so delighted with his G.I. Joe pants (much better than not wearing anything) Somehow as I re-read that last sentence.. something about the words delighted and G.I.Joe should not be together.

We are still working on the doll clothes. Curtains have taken a higher priority on the machine.

Great weekend indeed!