Saturday, June 10, 2006

Shell Wreaths

While we're in Mendocino enjoying camping with the Thompsons we are earning our site by making shell wreaths to be sold at the Ford House. The Ford's (not of the Detroit family) built one of the first three houses in Mendocino back in 1854. Cecile started making abalone shell wreaths years ago and they are usually sold out by Christmas. This year we're going to try to double the number we make while Cecile is concentrating on a larger version using lots of drift wood, sea weed, oyster shells (from our barbecue the other night) and other "beach stuff" we found while scavaging down at Glass Beach. The money earned from the sale of these wreaths help keep this historical building running as an information center for the city. And we both love making the wreaths!






Here are some of the finished ones, all tagged and ready to go down to the gift shop. (When we finished tonight we counted over 30 wreaths that we had made during our stay this week. This will give Cecile a good head-start on her three-month "tour of duty.")



This is the Ford House which was built in 1854. Not even related to the automotive family, this family started the first lumber mill in Mendocino.

Upstairs, on the second floor, are offices with a bathroom and small kitchen. This is where we worked most of the time. I sat at a window looking out onto the cove of the ocean, the same view as in the picture.

Life is Good!

4 comments:

Middle America Mom said...

I LOVE those wreaths!! I have a bunch of shells from Florida just waiting for a crafy use. I've known that I want to decorate a frame, but now I know what I want to do with some of the other shells. Will you show me how when you come visit? I'll have my handy-dandy glue gun all set up in my craft room :>

And, may I also mention, how much I also love that you are so profiecient at blogging...and posting photos. Good Job Maaaa...

CaliforniaGrammy said...

Thanks Middle America Mom! You know I'd love to show you how in your craft room. Make sure you have the "hot glue" glue gun :>

We made thirty of those wreaths during our stay in Mendocino. We'll be leaving on Tuesday, Angelo!

Middle America Mom said...

Maa -
I forgot to commend you on your first(I think) web-link on your blog. How hi-tech of you!

CaliforniaGrammy said...

M.A.M.
Yeah, pretty cool eh? And so easy to do . . . who'd have known?