Thursday, November 22, 2007

Sharing Thanksgiving With Extended Family

This Thanksgiving we were invited to the home of Jen's "best friend in the whole wide world" for dinner. We accepted only if we could participate in the cooking. Jen was in charge of appetizers, and I was in charge of stuffing. The turkey was barbecued "unstuffed" so I didn't have to get there to stuff the bird. We did our cooking yesterday so we had a relaxed morning and left the house at 11:30 a.m. so we could pick up Mom by 12:30 p.m. in order to arrive at our hosts' home by 1:oo p.m. Mom was anxiously waiting for us when we got to her place. She had a great time being with family paying lots of attention to her, and loving her to bits.

When we arrived we sat in front of a giant-screened TV and she and I decided to place a $1 bet on the football game. I told her who was planing and she chose the NY Jets to win, so that meant I had the Dallas Cowboys. As you may know the Cowboys won 34 to 3. However, Dodie changed her mind in the third quarter and insisted that she had the Cowboys all the time. I just cracked up inside and paid her the buck. It was too funny, and so what? It was well worth a buck to watch a football game with my mom on Thanksgiving.

We had a great time and she didn't really want to leave, even though there were quite a few yawns coming from her by 5 p.m. so she thanked everyone for inviting her and claimed she had such a nice time. We were so blessed to have her with us. We are really looking forward to her moving closer to us soon, so we can spend more happy times with her!


Here we are enjoying the Cowboys vs. the Jets football game.


What a wonderful family to spend Thanksgiving with.

Mom enjoyed conversation with the other "gramma" present.

JD loves his drumstick. When his father arrived, he enjoyed the other drumstick. I guess you call this "like father, like son!"

The boys had a great time laughing and jumping on the trampoline.

And the girls enjoyed just being girls!

Here's Mom accepting her prize money!

Mom and Ken enjoying a laugh together.

Mom enjoyed host's cute little dog, and said "I miss my Daisy!"

Our three-generation-picture for 2007.

Best Friends in the Whole Wide World!

Life is Good . . .
spending Thanksgiving with Family!

6 comments:

jennavar said...

Thank you for capturing a wonderful afternoon. Lots of good memories. I loved how the two families blended so well together. I am so thankful for my friends and family!

A.J. said...

Oh, J.E., I 'm all teary-eyed. It's so good to see Mom and I'm so glad she got to share the day with you guys. Wonderful pictures, thank you!

Aunt Patty said...

I'm with A.J., all teary eyed. Mom looks like she's enjoying herself immensely. You all look like your enjoying yourselves. Nice to have two families blend so well, but then that's what happens when you get together with your "best friend in the whole world". I miss seeing J. boy eating his drumstick, so it's good to see that part of Thanksgiving.

Middle America Mom said...

It looks like you had a great time. How nice of Netters to have you all over!

Padraic and Willie said...

Happy holidays!

Gary & Cecile Thompson said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time! We will be thinking of you during our tree sales blizzard this weekend.