Thursday, November 08, 2007

A Working Co-Op

Part of the privilege of having a home base in Park Sierra is the obligation to contribute to the work of the park, thus keeping our expenses down. Normally, my part is to publish the monthly newsletter, the Speak EZ. And K helps with the weed-whacking in the spring time. We are both on a Board committee which takes up a good deal of our time. Plus we do other jobs which we enjoy doing, like putting on a lunch or dinner for usually over 200 people. That said, I'm going to share with you what we chipped in to do today.

Actually I have to back up to about mid-September while we were crabbing at Winchester Bay. There was a real scare at Park Sierra—a FIRE, which started (by arsons) on the other side of the stagecoach road, a dirt road which borders our property. (It actually was the road in the days when visitors were taken by stagecoach up to Yosemite.) The fire department responded very fast with 5 engines, 20 firefighters, a helicopter, and a tanker airplane, plus a dozen inmates—all working as a team to put out the fire
in 4 hours (which had burned about 6 acres). Four fire fighters even spent the night at the park, sleeping on the ground near their engine, just to make sure the fire didn’t start up again. The captain complimented our weed-whackers and brushing crew for doing such a fine job keeping our property well trimmed. It could have been such a disaster. Fortunately no rigs or structures were harmed. The brushing crew is currently hard at work clearing our neighbor’s property 100’ back from our fence-line. And they need all the help they can get. That's where today's post comes in. The work needed to be done included tree trimming and brushing. I decided to join the crew this morning just because there is so much to do plus it was a good workout!

I took these pictures to publish in the Speak EZ to show those members who are not in the park the fire damage.

We were so lucky the fire department got to us so fast.

The neighbor's property hadn't been touched in years. In the past the neighbors would not let us onto their property. I think the fire was a good scare, since we finally got permission.

K (on the left) and I spent the first two hours dragging the limbs up to the road as they were cut by the guys with the chain saws. I want to do that part next time!

Then the next hour and a half was spent feeding the chipper. There I am waiting with my branch! Those green sleeves I'm wearing were given to me by the guy running the chipper to protect my arms. I thought that was pretty sweet.

I was glad K took these pictures of me, because I'm going to use them in the next Speak EZ to get other women out to help.

After our coffee/cookie break as we were rolling down to where we were working, I noticed something moving . . .

I grabbed the camera and zoomed in on him . . . a male tarantula! This is tarantula season and we don't see them very often but we do occasionally. I think we scared this one because he just stood real still and even stood up as tall as he could so we could see how big he was . . . like he was trying to scare us with his size! They are pretty hairy as you can see. I've been told they don't bite . . . some people even keep them as pets—not something I'd ever think about!

4 comments:

Middle America Mom said...

Wow! I''m so glad that y'all weren't affected by the fire! Way to go mom! You show them that women can do this kind of work too! About that tarantula...YIKES!

Gary & Cecile Thompson said...

Way to go guys! The chipping crew can be real hard work. I hope that there was a good turnout. If not, maybe your article in the Speak E-Z about it might spur others to get more involved.

jennavar said...

Go mama Go! The way the fires went gangbusters down here.. thank goodness everything was okay there! The boys loved the pictures of Mr T. (Tarantula). They can't believe that they could possibly see one of 'em at our place. Yikees. I actually held a few at the pet store and they were very docile. BUT VERY BIG AND HAIRY!

Aunt Patty said...

Yikes again!! (about the tarantula I mean) Good for you J.E. out there working and keeping up with those men. I bet you will spur more women on to help. I remember another couple who did that regularly when we were there. It is a great way to keep in shape, and those limbs more limber. That weed-whacking really paid off.