skip to main |
skip to sidebar
CD is Seven!
I can vividly remember seven years ago tonight. We were house-sitting for my sister in Healdsburg when we got the call at about 4:30 in the afternoon informing us that Jennifer was in labor . . . six weeks early! Now a tradition had been already set that I was privileged to witness each one of our grandchildren's birth and we weren't about to break that tradition. We booked a flight and K raced down to the Oakland Airport and I got on a 7:00 p.m. plane (after all—he had to stay and take care of the house and Cokie, the cat). It was late when I got to the hospital nearly 10 o'clock that night, but I could hear "Okay, Grammy's here . . . let's do it!" as I entered the room and within ten minutes CD was born. Oh my gosh, unbelievable and so precious was that little baby boy. His lungs were not fully developed so it was necessary for him to spend two weeks in NICU (a worrisome time which we'll never forget) . . . but look at him now, an extremely active and happy seven-year-old! Happy Birthday CD, you are a sweet grandson, and a good basketball and baseball player.
I asked him to pose like a seven-year-old . . . and this is what I got!
He picked out the flavor of the birthday cake, which his mom made, and asked for it to be "the kind with the stripe in the middle" . . . it was a confetti cake with whipped cream, strawberries, and raspberries . . . yummo! Since he was the birthday boy he also got to choose the dinner menu which included hotdogs with chili, french fried, and white layered cake with vanilla ice cream.
I have loved making a birthday quilt for each of our five grandchildren. This is a picture of the top before it was quilted—basketball fabrics bordered with baseball fabrics. It is backed with a baseball soft flannel . . . it'll be great to snuggle up with on these brisk winter nights.
Here he is reading the label on the back of the quilt. He's reminded me several times in the last few months (actually it started at Camp Cascadia last summer) that he would really like a quilt— (He's the last of the five grandchildren to get a birthday quilt, and he felt pretty sure he'd be getting his.)
His seven-year-old "toothie" grin just makes you smile inside. He loved his sports quilt—he loves to play basketball and baseball. We've had fun watching him play basketball the last couple of weeks, and he's quite good for his age.
Happy Birthday CD! Your Grammy and Papa love you!
4 comments:
Ahhh.. that brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful post for a special kid. Thanks so much for everything. He LOVES his quilt. I tried to put it on top of his flannel comforter last night but he insisted on having the warm flannel side of the quilt on his body. I love the pictures. It is so great to have you capture the pics especially when I'm not sure where my camera is at the moment: )
Love that 7 year old pose!! Sure looks like 7 to me! J, that quilt is so great, I love it. C, your cake looks so delicious, and your quilt is really neat with all those basketballs and baseballs on it. I bet it feels good too. Hope I can see you play baseball and basketball some day soon. I heard from Grammy that your a really good player. Happy Birthday C!!
That's one cute grandson!! What a lucky kid to have a gram who will put her heart into making his quilt!!
Hey California Grammy & Papa,
Hi from Quartzsite. Wish you were here, as you have been in the past. We enjoy your blog and appreciate your comments on ours. That is one great quilt you made and we hope these grandkids realize what a treasure they get when you make one for them! Enjoy those grandkids because they grow up way too fast!
Love, Mary & Elaine
Post a Comment