skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Fun on the Farm
After returning from a great summer in Oregon, we couldn't wait to go up to the Simply Country Farm. Several changes have happened over the summer. The baby chicks are now full grown hens, however an egg hasn't yet been seen. But something else has happened . . . when we left for Oregon there were two baby goats, Joey and Cover Girl. Now there is a beautiful milking doe named Destiny (who happens to be Joey's sister), residing at the Simply Country Farm, and we arrived just in time to watch and participate in her milking. Actually Destiny only gets milked every other day now because she is in the process of being weaned. In a month or so she will be mated and will be able to produce more milk in the spring. I think I'll let the pictures tell the story from here.
When Destiny realizes it's time to milk, by the sound of KL scooping out a good portion of sweet grain, something she only gets when she's being milked, she hops up onto the milking platform because she knows she gets a treat to munch on during the entire process.
KL really has taken on the responsibility to learn everything she can about her goats. And they love her! Here she is making sure Destiny is in position and latching the latch so that she doesn't move.
Destiny looks pretty content and ready to be milked. Check out her full udder. By the way, she won first prize at the county fair in the udder devision!
After washing her hands thoroughly Jen carefully sanitizes Destiny's udder before milking begins.
Then KL takes a sample of the milk and strains it to make sure the milk is free of any irregularities.
See? Clean as a whistle! Destiny's ready to be milked and her milk is perfect.
Jen and KL milked her together so the process time could be cut in half.
They are a great team!
I've never milked an animal before in my life, so I just had to try it. I was amazed at how warm her udder and the milk was. Her udder felt warm and soft. And after a quick lesson from Jen I was able to do just fine.
You can see the two streams of milk squirting into the stainless steel bucket.
A total of three quarts was stored in the freezer to chill, and we took one home with us after tasting it and finding it delicious! And it was so good in our cappuccinos this morning ...
. . . it froths beautifully!
Life is good!
8 comments:
Wow, those pictures really DO tell a story! Rick came in to have a look, and exclaimed, Oh, look at that UDDER! And I think I remember that she actually won a ribbon or something for that udder!
The farmers there at Simply Country sure look like they've got it down! We loved the peek at the farm!
They've really expanded their farm. I hope that they have eggs soon (My friend who got her chicks at the same time has eggs now) and the goat is cool. Is KL going to get a horse? I look forward to hearing what's next.
Udderly marvelous! Welcome back home!
Maaa! What great pictures. Last one is a little startling though. I'm glad you enjoyed the milk. I love it in my coffee and cereal. I can't wait to learn how to make cheese and soap. We'll have to squeeze that one in our crazy schedule.
Now it is time to get those chickens to understand that it is their time to give up some eggs. Come on now girls, push it out, push it out.. way out!
I want some goats milk! How awesome! Jen - you are such a farmer now:> Ma- I'm glad you're back home so I can see what's going on down on the simply country farm.
Great pictures!! That is an amazingly beautiful udder - I can see why Destiny won first place!
I would love to try milking a goat. Jennavar's comment about the last picture being startling cracked me up...I had to go back and look. She's right! Hilarious!
I am so impressed!! Thanks for posting the great pics and telling us what is going on down on the farm!
Good going J.E.!! I have never milked a goat either, but you describe it so well, I can just imagine how it would feel. Great blog!!
Post a Comment