Life is good!
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Remember the Green Tomatoes?
After packing up in four cardboard boxes the gazillion green tomatoes from the dozen plants in the hoop house in Oregon, we headed south taking nearly a week to get home. We unpacked the trailer and about three days later I thought I'd better do something with those green tomatoes. So I opened up the boxes to estimate how many pounds I had to deal with . . . To my amazement this is what I discovered!
I never imagined they'd start to ripen in the dark! Was I ever excited to even think I'd be havin' some of our own home-grown tomatoes, red tomatoes. Each day I peek into the boxes and pick out the ripe ones. I currently have about fifteen red tomatoes in the fridge (plus we've probably eaten a dozen already . . . they're on the smallish side, but they're delicious).
The larger ones in the picture are about four inches in diameter!
Life is good!
Life is good!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Yay, you have red tomatoes! I am happy for you. They will taste fresher if you don't refrigerate them. Just keep them in a cool place.
Farmer Jen,
Thanks for the tip! It's just that when one lives in a confined space, the fridge seemed like a good idea since my counter space is limited. But I'll take your advice because I want these to taste the best they can.
Post a Comment