skip to main |
skip to sidebar
The Latest Technology . . . Hmmmm!
We recently upgraded our GPS and computer software in anticipation of a long trip we're planning to take next year. Ken installed the software and put in our starting and ending destination for this quick trip to Healdsburg via a three-day stopover at Turtle Beach Resort in Manteca, CA. The trip is 119 miles and should take about 2 1/2 hours pulling the trailer. We started out at 9:27 a.m. and pulled into Turtle Beach just a bit after 2 p.m.
I know you're dying to know what happened? Aren't you? Why on earth did it take us 4 1/2 hours, with the GPS telling us exactly where to turn, how fast we're going, etc., etc.? Well . . . I'll let the pictures tell the story. But first I have to tell you that when I checked the computer screen I realized that the GPS was taking us a totally different way than when we've made this same trip lots of times in the past. It was taking us on to a back country road that usually takes about 20 minutes longer in driving time, even though it's less mileage. We decided "What the heck? Let's try it!"
Big mistake . . . really big . . . huge!
Now, realize that we're pulling a 25' trailer, which is difficult to make a U-turn even on a "normal" two-lane highway . . . here is the road our new fandangled GPS "made" us take.
Hmmm . . . a bit of a bumpy road . . . It's hard to hold the camera still.
We crossed over several of these contraptions that keep cattle from crossing the road on the fence-less Raynor Ranch.
I know this is hard to see . . . but I believe the GPS is telling us that we rolling down the road at a snails pace . . . 12 miles per hour . . . because it's so irregular with ruts and bumps.
In fact we going so slow that Ken can take time to watch the scenery roll by, knowing full well that there is nothing ahead . . . we never saw one vehicle or cowboy for nearly 20 miles.
This is what caught Ken's eye . . . cattle grazing . . . way out yonder!
Or right up close and personal . . . no fences between us and them!
This is where Ken said . . . look! A paved road.
A divided paved road! By this time we've been driving for a couple of hours. We even missed a crucial due to poorly marked roads and had to drive a half hour to find a place big enough to turn around.
I don't think a main highway and traffic ever looked so good!
Now we're rolling.
The trailer parked in place, Ken puts his feet up and takes a well deserved rest..
This is our view for the next three days.
That was yesterday . . .
Here's the happy camper tonight as I write this post.
He's hoping to get a catfish to take his bait!
Life is good!
4 comments:
Oh my! An adventure of course, but not to be repeated. I suspect this gps thingy is a precurser to the machines overtaking the world....We tried to use Sandi's gps and it took us to the backside of the airport in Modesto.......
Ah, that road looks very familiar. We took that road, only once, just to check it out as a possible shortcut. Luckily we were not towing the trailer. Adventures are fun, aren't they? Especially when you can relax right after them.
All I can say is WOW!! You guys and your new roads! Glad that you made it though!
We never just depend on our gps it has taken us places we knew we wrong. We usually check with our map or on the computer. I am glad you made it ok.
We are in Nampa, ID heading for a few days in Lewiston, ID then on to Spokane, WA then east, east east. Our fundraiser was very successful and we just got word today that the money we made was going to be use for the entire childrens summers fund. They had no money and were praying about this. The rescue mission is going to put a large picture of Mark on their wall, we are so happy. Hope we can make more next year...Laura
Post a Comment