Thursday, May 06, 2010

In Appreciation

I am truly blessed to have my big sister, Patty. She is no ordinary person. She has been blessed with a big and generous heart, as well as a caring heart, and a sweet spirit. She also happens to be a retired R.N., having spent over 35 years as a nurse caring for probably thousands of folks in the Emergency Room of Santa Teresita Hospital in Southern California.

And because she was in the medical field, our family has come to depend on her expertise, getting her opinions about anything from how to treat a simple bump on the head after a fall, to more serious things like caring for Mom and Daddy as they became older and more frail.

It's been nearly nine years since Daddy died and a year since Mom passed away, and I wanted to do something for Patty to show my appreciation for all she did for them in those final years.
So I decided to make her a quilt. I know she likes anything made by hand and I know she likes the color combination of blue and yellow.

I thought of making this quilt for Patty as I came across this pattern while browsing through a recent quilting magazine. It so reminded me of my sister that I stopped and ordered the fabric and had it shipped to me in Oregon last summer. However I didn't get started on it until after the holidays. I pieced the top and a professional machine-quilter, Sheila Bruner in Mariposa, did the quilting for me.

It was a fun project to work on. Working on it gave me plenty of time to think of all sorts of childhood memories being raised by Mom and Daddy. It was especially a time to feel appreciative of all that Patty did for them.

We just got back from a three-day trip to take her the quilt. She loved it and we had a great time together, as we always do. Thank you Patty for being you!

Life is good!

6 comments:

kalebsmum said...

Aw, words cannot express what a sweet thing you did for your sister!

And the quilt is beautiful!

jennavar said...

What a beautiful post! It brought tears to my eyes. She is pretty darn special and the quilt is beautiful. CDV just asked me if we were going to play some ping pong for Mother's Day. It makes me kind of sad that we don't anymore but those years sure did fill a lot of good memories for all of us. I'm glad you're home safely.

Aunt Patty said...

This brought tears to my eyes also, thank you for being you, my dear talented and creative sister. Thank God some of us inherited mom's creativity and sewing abilities. You certainly take the prize for those talents. It was fun being the oldest and the nurse. I considered it a privilege to have been able to take care of mom and dad, with the help and support of all my siblings.They were both such a blessing to us all. I will cherish this beautiful quilt forever, and appreciate all the work and love you put into every stitch of it. Thank you so very much my dear sister, not only for this quilt but for the all the things you've made and done for me while we were growing up and since then. Thank you for sharing your creative gifts (music, art, drawing, painting, sewing) for my family and the whole family, and for the many times you were there, helping out expertly and quietly like you always do. You are a real blessing and truly precious to me. I love you very much.

Unknown said...

SOOO Nice !! Awsome job Aunt J, My Mom Loves it lots as she loves you as well !!


XX OO Mikie

A.J. said...

The quilt is so beautiful, and we can FEEL THE LOVE!

How nice to have that gift of talent to express your appreciation. Such a good blog, such an exquisite quilt, and a great picture of our dear sister Patty!

BeBopGrammie said...

Beautiful quilt J..it looks like P likes it a lot too..I was thinking that those colors are at least one of SSRS favorite combos .. like Aunty like niece.