Monday, September 06, 2010

Work in Progress at Camp Cascadia

One project we're trying to finish before we head south is what we call our Utility Room. Last summer we had a shower installed on one side of the room. This summer we built a counter top so we'd have work space next to the sink. It will be handy to have when cleaning up after a tole painting job, and also serve as a place to keep the small fridge and coffee pot for when we have guest campers visiting us. Here's a sneak peek and I hope to finish up the tiling tomorrow and then be able to grout the tile after curing for twenty-four hours. The first two pictures shows the tiles roughly laid out so you can get an idea of how the final job will look. I'll show you a picture of the finished counter in a few days.

The fridge fits nicely under the counter top.
The sink with the counter next to it. We'll use the 2" tiles along the wall as a splash guard. The counter is about 6' long. I'll make a skirting to hide the shelf and the bottom of the sink.
We're not going for pretty, we're going for cheap. So we chose to do the job as economically as we could and are using 12" tiles which were on sale, and then 2" tiles to fill in the gaps.

I've never done tiling before but this seemed to be quite simple and actually lots of fun.

Life is good!

4 comments:

jennavar said...

Looks like you are doing a great job and having fun. I know you will enjoy having that wash/work space.

Laura said...

Looks great.....you can do somethings cheaply and still have the look nice....kinda like you're doing....

A.J. said...

Off to a good start, sure looks great!

That's my sister, Nothin' to it but to do it!

Aunt Patty said...

Oh, you talented little sister, there you go again, with your nothin to it but to do it stuff!! Sure is a great project to be doing and I'm sure your enjoying it. Looks very nice so far!