Sunday, November 28, 2010

Sunday Turkey

We purchase a five-dollar-turkey last week while grocery shopping at Vons — taking them up on a deal as long as we spent $25, which just isn't hard to do these days. It's been in the fridge defrosting and today was the day to cook the turkey. I am a big fan of Pioneer Woman and decided to try her method of cooking a turkey. She uses a brine for her turkey but I chose to skip that part. What I was more interested in was the actual roasting method. I stuffed my 14 1/2 pound hen, placed her in one of those disposable aluminum roasting pans, drizzled a bit of olive oil on her, covered her with two layers of foil carefully sealing the edges around the roasting pan. Then roasted her without looking at her again for 2 1/2 hours in a 275° oven. The foil was removed, a cube of softened butter was smeared all over the bird, the oven turned up to 375° and she cooked at that temperature until the meat thermometer reached 170° — basting every 30 minutes. It only took another 45 minutes

We love to watch the food channel and several of the chefs cook their turkeys using this slow, low-temperature, and it really works. I'll forever cook my turkeys this way . . . it was the juiciest, most tender turkey we've ever had!

Ken wanted to try a carving method that several top chefs also use. We've normally sliced the turkey breast holding the knife so that it cuts down the breast while it is still intact. After removing the legs, thighs, and wings— the "new" way is to cut the whole breast off the carcass, lay it flat on the cutting board, and slice it vertically — against the grain. According to Alton Brown the meat is more tender cut against the grain and tougher when cut with the grain. This is a great trick and looks nice on the serving platter.
The breast halves ready to slice vertically. We'll have enough turkey to enjoy the rest of the week. Plus a nice pot of soup will be on the stove soon, and that's one our favorite parts of roasting a turkey!
Life is good!

4 comments:

kalebsmum said...

Yummy!! If only we had smell-o-vision!!

It's funny, you and I are watching all the same shows!! I recently watched The Pioneer Woman take on Bobby Flay at her own ranch! I'm sure you caught that one because they were doing Thanksgiving!!! And we had watched that one of Alton Brown! We really enjoy his recipes!!

Great to see you try something you haven't tried before!

jennavar said...

Yummy! That looks so moist and delish! I bet your house smelled so yummy and I'm sure the soup will be delicious too!

Aunt Patty said...

Sure looks yummy! Wish I had been there! How brave you are to try such a new and different method. Just another proof of how you got your name-"Nothin' to it but to do it J.E."

Razzberry Corner said...

I just saw this old post, and now I am so hungry!!! Luckily, my husband is making breakfast for me this morning - imagine that! So I am sitting back and waiting to see how it goes! I doubt I'll be getting turkey, but it'll be good!
~Lynn