Friday, November 02, 2012

Chickens and Bobcats Don't Mix!

Bobcats are wild felines that can be found throughout most of the southern areas of America. They are about twice the size of a domestic cat and will hunt anything from small rodents to deer. Bobcats tend to shy away from human interaction and because of this do not pose a threat to human life. However, they are known to hunt and kill backyard chickens.

That's exactly what happened in our backyard the other day. We had let the chickens out for a day of free-ranging. They were doing just fine and having a great time. Toward the end of the afternoon Ken heard a raucous outside, jumped up and ran out only to see one lifeless chicken on the ground, and chased away a bobcat with yet another chicken in its mouth. The remaining six frightened hens were scattered all around the yard making quite a fuss.  We've had bobcat scares before but never have we lost a chicken.

It took quite a bit of coaxing to get the remaining six hens back in the coop where they will remain safe and sound. We would love for our chickens to be able to free-range, but living here in our mountain community just won't allow it. Natural habitants such as bobcats, coyotes, and foxes came first, and we've learned the hard way that we must respect that. no matter how hard it may be.

Life is good!



3 comments:

Farmer Jen said...

So sorry to hear that you lost your sweet hens. I can't let mine run free either. Wish I could. Between the dogs, foxes, bobcats etc. it's just too risky around here. I lost one to a fox that climbed over my coop fencing before I had it completely covered. It hurt my heart so much. Vowed to never let that happen again. I am more a "pet keeper" than a "farmer or rancher", I guess. My girls are precious to me.

Razzberry Corner said...

That's terrible! I'm so sorry! We always lose guineas to foxes, as the guineas free range. I stopped naming the guineas, it's too sad to lose pets, and they become pets when they are named. As for our chickens, they are all pets, and they never free range, or they' too, would become fox food. Or owl or hawk or dog, or... the list goes on. We've learned the hard way, too. But I'm sorry about your hens. I know they love to free range. :(

Aunt Patty said...


Those poor girls! What a darn shame that is. I
remember Daddy used to call his chickens his
girls. I guess you do grow fond of chickens.