Friday, April 14, 2006

OD's Beans for A Crowd

IT ALL STARTED when I was visiting with some folks down at the clubhouse a few weeks ago chatting about an upcoming smoked rib dinner they were going to host for the Saturday before Easter. Their menu was to include baked beans and I inquired about their method of baking beans. She talked about taking canned beans and doctoring them up a bit with ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar. You can see how this story is going . . . of course I had to chime in to say "I have a secret recipe for baked beans that are out of this world!" So I told her the story of Daddy baking beans nearly every Friday and taking them into J&J and all his customers from miles around would come by the shop to get a taste of his famous beans.

AND THEN I TOLD HER the story of getting Daddy to teach us how to make those beans because he had the technique in his head and no recipe at all. We spent a weekend with the folks RVing at the beach. The whole purpose of the weekend was to write down everything he did while making a batch of his beans . . . the recipe developed as we'd follow him back and forth from the beach to the motorhome while he "drizzled and sprinkled," jotting down his every move . . . so now the whole family can make "ODs Baked Beans!"


After hearing the story she asked "Would you like to make those beans for the park dinner?" I gladly agreed.

Now I've never made such a large quantity before. It was a whole lot of work because we had to 8-times the recipe and that makes for a lot of "drizzling and sprinkling." My best friend in the world, who happens to be my husband, helped me from the get-go this morning and we finished about six hours later. Check out the pictures and I think you'll agree that they're gonna be delicious and my Daddy would be so tickled to know that his beans will be enjoyed by 125 folks at one time!





3 comments:

Aunt Patty said...

What a great tribute to our Dad J.E. Your absolutely right, that he would be "so proud man" to have his beans shared by so many and to have them pictured in your blog. What a neat, neat thing. We're #2 on the list now, and I'm still not sure what we are going to end up doing. Sure wish we were there for that dinner though! You guys are such an awesome team!!

Padraic and Willie said...

Wow, yum... wish we were there...

jennavar said...

Yummy!!! I bet that kitchen sure did smell good. I know Grandpa was smiling down watching every move you make and prompting you at the right times to drizzle. I know that everyone is going to love those baked beans. I don't think I have that recipe written down. I need it. Love you...