Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Saturday's Saga


First things first . . . as Mom always said to us kids on Saturday mornings "Work before pleasure . . . clean your room!" Cleaning bedrooms started off with me telling them that I'd do their laundry if they'd toss out the dirty clothes into the hallway. Boy, did I ask for it!



Breakfast dishes in the dishwasher (I'd forgotten what a luxury that is!) . . . rooms pretty much cleaned up . . . time for the next event of the day!




Let's see . . . first we're going to lunch at In-N-Out and the kids introduced us to "French Fries Animal Style" — What a mess!



Then we're off to Albertsons for Gatorade (a MUST according to eight-year-old J who claims "My Dad insists I have it during halftime so I don't get dehydrated!), and then to the gym for two first-of-the-season basketball games. . . J's is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. and C's is at 3:00 p.m. - each on different ends of the same floor. And by 3:30 p.m. they're both going on at the same time!


What fun to watch the difference of experience of the same sport . . . lots of cheers for the "big kids" and lots of tears of joy for the "little kids!"



You can see in the picture of C's team —that's C on the right, arms at his side, not really wanting to run all the way down the court AGAIN—that the coaches are truly blessed with patience as they teach the 5-year-olds the concept of the game plus the basic skills of the game.



K and KL had time during halftime to play a few games of Tic-Tac-Toe always ending in a Cat's Game and then having to play Rock Paper Scissors to see who goes first for the next game.



After a full afternoon you'd think the boys would be exhausted, but oh-my-NO! They had lots of energy left to play a vigorous game of "Anti-Terrorists" - actually they had the most fun figuring out what to wear and striking a pose for the camera. Such hams!



Driving home we looked forward to a quiet time of watching a great Hallmark movie "The Long Shot" . . . dinner of pot roast and veggies which have been stewing in the crock pot most of the day . . . a great game of Pegs and Jokers . . . and, oh my! and thank the Lord . . . it's time for bed!

3 comments:

Aunt Patty said...

I love the look on J's face as he dribbles along keeping an eye on his opponents. He looks pretty serious alright. A game of anti-terriorists, that's a sign of the times if I ever heard one. Our boys didn't play that one! Interesting hat J. has on in that picture. Cute of lil C to wait at his end for the ball to come back. He's no dummy!!

kalebsmum said...

It sounds like you and K are having fun with your grandkids!! and in-n-out burgers--I'm so jealous!! and Basketball looks like fun!!

jennavar said...

They definitely kept you busy. I love seeing the pictures of the basketball games. A little sad that I missed the first ones but seeing the pictures definitely helps.

I love seeing their closets full of clean clothes all hung up. What a treat for them and ME! Thanks for that.

And to think that I spent hours crocheting each of my boys scarves so that they could have their own. Hmmm.... not necessarily thinking they would be used for that kind of imaginary play...

Thanks for leaving the movie The Long Shot for us to watch again. What a great movie and a bit of a tear jerker. I saw that you can rent it in the kids section at blockbuster too for anyone who wants to see a good movie.