Over twelve years ago the grapes for this giant bottle of wine were picked from the Long's vineyard, crushed and bottled in the Jeroboam you see here.
For days we couldn't figure out how to get the bottle open because the opening and the cork was much larger than a standard bottle and all the modern corkscrews wouldn't work. So Rick got out the old standby that most waiters use in restaurants and was successful in pulling out the cork.
The Jeroboam weighed nearly 14 pounds when full so we decided to pour it into a pitcher in order to serve it easily.
Here it is and I wish you could smell the wonderful fragrance, or I guess you'd call it the "bouquet" . . . it was divine!
Jackie and Rick invited a great bunch of friends and we all had a nice time sipping our wine, snacking on some nice appetizers especially prepared to go with the "Wine of the Evening!"
At the dinner table . . . the menu included Albondigas, hot rolls, and a nice tossed green salad. The Albondigas was a hit especially since the weather, after sundown, had gotten quite chilly out on the deck.
After a cheese course (which Louise brought) the birthday cake was brought in, a wish was made, and we all enjoyed the decadent Genache Anna brought.
Life is Good . . . especially in Healdsburg with family and friends and a never-ending bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon.
Life is Good . . . especially in Healdsburg with family and friends and a never-ending bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon.







5 comments:
Oh what a jeroboam jubilee we had! Thanks to you and K for so much of that fun evening! I loved the festive decorations, surprising Louise, and the great group. And ahh, that wine, huh? Let me just say, though, that Rick won that wine almost 10 years ago, not just a couple. We've had it resting and aging down under the house all this time.
I'm proud of how all of us did our best to drink up that jeroboam. We're left with just about a half of a regular bottle now.
And now, lucky us, we get to go have another bowl of albondigas and glass of cabernet!
Love the pics, J, thanks for making the great blog.
The party sure looks like it was a hit -- and what a wonderful pictorial documentation of the event! Wish I was there!
It looks like everyone is having a great evening...The smiles on everyones faces, hula hoops and wine!!
Great night!!
Wow what a fun party! And what an awesome bottle of wine. It seemed like it was a perfect occasion to break it open. I LOVE the hula hooping pictures. You all are so youthful. I don't think I can do it anymore. Great pictures mom!
Looks like a wonderful time had by all! Wish I could have tasted that Cabernet and Albondigas soup. You all look like your enjoying yourselves, J,wish we could have seen one pic of you. And little J, you just keep looking younger! L makes a great looking 60 year old. Looks like you guys really pulled it off. Strong work!!
Post a Comment