Saturday, April 10, 2010

Dehorning the kids

Now that the kids are one-two weeks old it's time to dehorn them. I wasn't there but Jen took some pictures for me. I've never really known why this has to be done but I did some research. Animals with horns are more apt to fight with one another or be aggressive toward people. And the procedure needs to be done in their infancy so here comes another learning experience for KL. The kids were taken over to Laura's house because she has the necessary equipment. Laura is the one who has won state championship ribbons for her goats, and from whom Simply Country has acquired Destiny, Joey, and Cover Girl.

Laura is a great teacher, and loves the fact that KL is soaking up like a sponge everything she is willing to teach her.

First one done and is so happy to receive the comfort of the bottle from "Mama KL!"

KL shows what she has learned under Laura's watchful eye.

KL on her own. When Jen asked KL if she was nervous while dehorning for the first time she said "Well yeah, but it has to be done!" That's my girl . . . nothing to it but to do it!

Life is good!


4 comments:

TravelingGrammy said...

Oh, I can see (and almost hear) the pride in grandma's blog! KL is an extraordinary young lady....have you tried goat's milk?

jennavar said...

I can tell you that it was a very hard thing to witness first-hand. The babies cried so hard that it broke my heart. I actually had to walk around quite a bit. But it had to be done. It was a testimony to motherhood watching your child go through something hard knowing it is the best thing for them. Karah is learning a lot of amazing things. We have met some amazing teachers up here.

BeBopGrammie said...

WOW, once again, KL is showing us just how much strength she has in her to step up to the task at hand no matter what it is. Way to go KL, I am so impressed with your perseverence and spirit.

Aunt Patty said...

Thank gosh for Laura, nothing like having a hands on learning experience, great job KL! I just remembered that Uncle Bill had to drink goats milk when he was so thin as a young boy, probably around lil C's age.