Monday, August 27, 2007

The Rescue of the Basil Plants

We were sitting out on the deck enjoying our Happy Hour with Gary. We had all just finished checking in on "Kitty" . . . you remember, the caterpillar which changed into the chrysalis and is now hanging on the twig in the jar just waiting to change into a beautiful butterfly. Well, K and I thought Kitty looked a bit fatter however, Gary couldn't see the change. Anyway, out of the corner of my eye I could see something moving over by the herb garden.


Lo and behold it was another caterpillar! A different looking caterpillar than Kitty. I so wished CD was here to enjoy watching her. This caterpillar moved ever-so-fast! By the time I ran in to get the camera she had circled the pot twice and wouldn't hold still enough to get a good clear picture. She was really traveling fast, trying to figure out how to get onto the plant . . . one of my three basil plants which are just about ready to harvest to make my annual batch of pesto. I'm so glad we saw her when we did. How dare her even think she was going to get away with that! She looked like she was mighty interested in munching those beautiful basil leaves.



I think the flash of the camera startled her so she held still enough to get this shot. You can imagine her porcupine-like hairs moving as she took each step! I carefully took a stick and released her grip so I could give her a good fling. We don't have time to "mother" two caterpillars.

Life is good . . . when you can make your own pesto!

2 comments:

jennavar said...

Wow!! What an awesome looking caterpillar. I can't even imagine what kind of butterfly that one will turn into. And you flung it?? Huh! Well, I guess that is okay since you aren't charging babysitting hours for Kitty. Cool pictures.

A.J. said...

Wow, that last photo is worthy of sending to National Geographic! Nice save, too.