Tuesday, September 11, 2007

"Good Morning!"

I swear that's what I heard this morning as I went out front to pick some blackberries for my cereal. I was all by myself today as K took the truck in for some brake work, and Gary and Cecile went to visit their son and daughter-in-law in Portland. So I was foot-loose and fancy-free hunting for berries when I was looking down to see where I could put my foot without getting tangled up in the long thorny brambles and noticed a grasshopper sitting on a leaf. She said "Good morning!" and I said "Well, I'll be!"

I was about to step around her when I noticed she was carrying her baby on her back. At least, that's what I think it was. The "momma" was only about an inch and a quarter long and the "baby" was half that size! The tiniest grasshoppers I've ever seen. So I wondered if I could get a picture of them and my camera, of course, was back in the trailer. I decided to give it a try. I backed out slowly and ran (well, not really) to the trailer as fast as I could, and when I got back down to where I was, the grasshoppers had moved . . . only to the edge of the leaf, though, and I slowly and quietly crept up to capture the moment. Take a look!


Good morning!

I used the Macro to get this shot . . . isn't it cool!

6 comments:

jennavar said...

Wow. What an amazing picture! I think that one is definitely National Geographic worthy... but.. uh.. are you sure that is mama and her baby???? Or mama soon to have a baby...

jennavar said...

I just googled photos of "grasshoppers mating". I have to say that your shot is one of the best mating shots out there! I'm not sure if they were saying "good morning" to you though. Hee hee... This one makes me laugh!

CaliforniaGrammy said...

On second thought, after jennavar's research I'm sure I heard those grasshoppers exclaim "Life is good!"

Middle America Mom said...

1) What an awesome shot!
2) You peeping Tom, you!

LOL!

A.J. said...

Oh how embarrasing for the poor grasshoppers! Trying to have a little early show in peace and here comes a photographer for crying out loud!

But Jen's right, (I had to google the grasshoppers matiing too) you really have an excellent photo there!

Aunt Patty said...

I'm still not sure what's happening here. Could be a mama and her baby yah? Does National Geographic show mama's and babies??