Friday, April 11, 2008

Back in 1957 . . .

. . . my husband worked at Bluff Lake YMCA camp as an assistant wrangler for the summer. His love for horses is still strong, especially since our granddaughter has become quite the cowgirl. For his birthday the Varner-Party-of-Five gave him a horseback riding lesson at the same place KL goes twice a week at the Double Barrel Ranch near Mariposa. Today was the big day to dig out his cowboy boots and see how much he remembered from so long ago! JJ did the driving and I went along to capture the day in pictures, so I'll just let them tell the story.

The horse chosen for K to ride was "Mo" —a sweet mare who is new to the Double Barrel Ranch. We have watched KL with the horses before and she has always gone out to the pasture to get the horse and bring it back to brush it down, pick its hooves, saddle them up and get them ready to ride. So that was what K did today as did KL with her horse, Fanny.

By the time K got done with her she was dust-free and such a pretty horse!

Mo gently lifted each hoof so K could pick the out the mud.

K seemed like a natural at adjusting the saddle.

I was concerned that with his short legs he'd have a problem with getting up onto Mo, but he did it!

Here he is heading up to the arena . . . and looking good!

Once he got into the arena he was quite comfortable on Mo, and could handle her like he'd been doing it for years!

KL gets better and better . . . and seems so much more relaxed on her horse each time we come to watch.

Every time Mo would come up to where JJ and I were sitting, she'd pause like she knew I was taking her picture . . . I guess she figured it was a photo opportunity!

Here he is loping along, having a great time!

What a fun time, the hour went by so fast.

Heading back down to the corrals.

Such a peaceful and beautiful ranch . . . and a very fun birthday present.

Life is good!


5 comments:

kalebsmum said...

What a great gift for K!! It looks like he and Mo enjoyed the ride.

Middle America Mom said...

Boy, he looks like a regular wrangler Ryder! What a fun birthday present. I've never seen Dad on a horse -- oh wait, did he ride at that dude ranch we went to way back when? Anyway, he looks great -- and happy and proud. Way to go, Dad!

TravelingGrammy said...

What a clever family you have! I don't think I've ever seen a better picture of K... Happy belated birthday to you both!

Laura said...

I love horses too. What a wonderful gift and a real fun time.
Laura

jennavar said...

What a beautiful day it was for riding. The pictures came out great! I'm glad he liked the gift. I think K really enjoyed herself too.