Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Crazy Shorts Quilt in the Works

Cecile and I got going on the quilt being made from all those crazy shorts fabrics I shared with you a week or so ago. And after I squared up all the split-nine blocks it was time to figure out how to arrange them into something that might be pleasing to at least the owner's eye. We know it will touch his heart. Once we got into a routine of who does what, it went pretty fast. I trimmed and sewed the blocks together after Cecile did the arranging. We're half way done with the ten rows, and I imagine we'll have it pretty much finished by tomorrow. I'll take it back to Coarsegold with me and hopefully get it quilted by Christmas.

Just as fast as I square off a block, Cecile has figured out where to place it.

I made myself a cool tool. I think I've seen this type of thing in quilting magazines, but have never seen one in the shops to purchase. And I really needed it to square up all four sides of the blocks. So I made it from a Lazy Susan and I cut a circle out of a cutting mat and glued it on top. It worked great in trimming the blocks without having to move the fabric. Just by turning the Lazy Susan the block was in place to trim! Awesome tool!

All the trimmings at the end of the project.
Cecile thought it would make a great jigsaw puzzle!

This picture is mainly for Cecile's friend, Joni.
"See Joni, I do know how to iron!"

Life is good!



1 comment:

Joni Linscott said...

I laughed out loud when I saw the picture of Cecile ironing..I'm sure you had to show her how to do it..a sight I never thought I'd see! Wish I had been there to help with the quilting and what an idea...I'll have to dig out my lazy susan and use your trick:)