Mind you, we have been packing up to leave first thing tomorrow morning. We gave the crop every chance possible to produce a red tomato. All twelve plants were started with seed back in April and planted in the ground on July 8. All twelve plants were planted from seeds especially picked for their short growing season since they would mature in Oregon. The seed company claimed that the seeds needed a 55-day growing season. It's been over 160 days! They were planted in a green-house environment so that the temperature would stay nice and warm. The plants grew nice and tall—over five feet tall, and produced lots and lots of tomatoes. But would you think one of them could just ripen for us before we head back to California?
Yes! ONE DID!
See? There it is at the left side bottom of the bush.
Here is a close-up of this red beauty!
There is nothing better than a tomato eaten fresh from your garden.
When we were in Mendocino visiting the Thompsons we gave them a couple of our tomato plants. It doesn't get very warm in Mendo and they brought their tomato plants to Cascadia to get some sun . . . what a joke. But look! Their pathetic little plant (it can't be more than 10" tall) has produced one red tomato! Well it's at least blushing like it's gonna turn red !
I took this picture in the dark just so you could see its color better. It'll probably be a nice bright red in a couple more days.
Now it's time to get out my Green Tomato Chow-Chow recipe. I've never made it and never even heard of it, but it sounds good and it's a good way to make use of about 50 pounds of green tomatoes! Life is good!
Wait til you get here and see our tomatoes! Rick likes to plant LOTS, and everywhere you look now you see RED RED RED! And some orange, the sungold cherry tomatoes which we love. When you get here we can eat tomatoes every day, every way, breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Beautiful red tomato! You can use the green tomatoes to make Green Tomato Pie. Just pretend they are apples (don't peel them though) and follow an apple pie recipe. You can also make Fried Green Tomatoes. They are very tasty.
That's great that you atleast got one for all your hard work. We didn't get a very good summer this year... that could be a reason why... We planted a green bean bush for Kaleb and it is finally producing beans!
Dang I am so jealous.... I have next day two small tomatoes on my vine when I g.ot home and then the next day it was gone. I think raccoons got it. I better not ever come face to face with the bandit. Hugs, Laura ps see you towards the end of the month
My husband and I retired in 1999 and enjoyed a full-time RV lifestyle for over 12 years and loved everything about it! We now live in a "stick house" in the country and look forward to the next chapter of our life together . . . enjoy a garden, fresh eggs from our own hens, and living close to family.
We have two daughters we are very proud of—each one has a great husband and between them, and the good Lord, have given us five awesome grandkids! This blog happens so our friends and family can keep up with what we enjoy doing most.
4 comments:
Wait til you get here and see our tomatoes! Rick likes to plant LOTS, and everywhere you look now you see RED RED RED! And some orange, the sungold cherry tomatoes which we love. When you get here we can eat tomatoes every day, every way, breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Beautiful red tomato! You can use the green tomatoes to make Green Tomato Pie. Just pretend they are apples (don't peel them though) and follow an apple pie recipe. You can also make Fried Green Tomatoes. They are very tasty.
That's great that you atleast got one for all your hard work. We didn't get a very good summer this year... that could be a reason why... We planted a green bean bush for Kaleb and it is finally producing beans!
Dang I am so jealous.... I have next day two small tomatoes on my vine when I g.ot home and then the next day it was gone. I think raccoons got it. I better not ever come face to face with the bandit.
Hugs, Laura
ps see you towards the end of the month
Post a Comment