This year, we planted twelve plants (four of each variety) in the hoop house (provided graciously by our neighbor, Karen, to keep the deer away from making a meal out of our fruits of labor). And now we wait. Once again we'll pray for RED tomatoes!
Tuesday, July 08, 2008
And now we wait . . .
We've tried for several years to grow tomatoes in Cascadia. That's one of the things we've missed most living our full-time RV lifestyle . . . our own vegetable garden. And because we get to Oregon at the beginning of summer time, you'd think we'd have plenty of time to have some nice garden tomatoes . . . NOT! Not yet, anyway. This year we planted the seeds at the beginning of April and our "seedlings" this year are twice the size as last years. There are three varieties of tomatoes, each are supposed to be for short-growing-seasons. Last year, if you remember, the plants grew five feet tall, produced lots of fruit . . . but only one turned red. One!
This year, we planted twelve plants (four of each variety) in the hoop house (provided graciously by our neighbor, Karen, to keep the deer away from making a meal out of our fruits of labor). And now we wait. Once again we'll pray for RED tomatoes!
Ken proudly takes the dozen seedlings over to be planted in the ground. They first started as seeds planted in tiny six-packs. After transplanting the tiny seedlings into 4" pots with special soil infused with food to last three months they grew tall and mighty. Now they're ready to grow even further into big bushes and produce a whole bunch of RED tomatoes!
This is the "before" picture. Stay tuned for the "after" picture and let's hope we'll all be celebrating!
This year, we planted twelve plants (four of each variety) in the hoop house (provided graciously by our neighbor, Karen, to keep the deer away from making a meal out of our fruits of labor). And now we wait. Once again we'll pray for RED tomatoes!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
I'm going to will the plants to produce RED tomatos...I hope that they give you what you want!!
Think RED thoughts, think RED thoughts. Think RED thoughts.
T was reading this with me and is very excited that you have a "greenhouse." He wants us to have one and says that if you have one, we should be able to have one.
I've been meaning to comment about your cool blog role with the time of the last update on it. How awesome is that! How'd you learn to do that? Did one of the C-C clan teach you? I wanna know how too!
We are enjoying our 2nd harvest, same plant of small salad tomatoes. The Romas, however, are trying to recuperate from that freaky tornadoe like weather we had back in early June late May...very unusual stuff for SoCal. I think the key to red is direct sunlight...they don't seem to do anything when it is gloomy like today. Best wishes and good sunlight on your tomatoes that they will be 'harvestable' in time for your enjoyment.
Good luck on the 'maters. I planted mine sooo late, it will be a stroke of luck if I actually get some red ones, too.
So, I'm wondering if maybe you have a setting in your blogger account settings that is preventing folks from being able to add you to Google reader? If you have a second, maybe you could review your account settings and see if something is set to "off" or "no" when it comes to subscribers. I have tried adding you every which way but I always get the message that "no feed is available".
Hi Janice,
You made jealous with your tomato plants. I have one growing and it looks like for some reason the bottoms of my beautiful tomatos look like they are rotten. Any ideas why?
Yes, we do stay busy but we are busy with or without company. We are taking advantage of all the free walking tours in the city and we have been on two now but plan to attend one or two a week.
I would love to come to Oregon. Not even sure if we will make the crabfest but I am putting out there to the universe, I really want to go.
Hugs to you both,
Laura
Wow! With my black thumb all I can do is have plant envy...How will you get them to the crabbing so we can have a taste, too?
Your tomato plants look very healthy! I usually plant Romas here and they turn red in about 85 days. The green tomatoes will sometimed ripen off the vine sitting on your sunny windowsill. You can always make "fried green tomatoes" if they don't.
I just successfully add your blog to my Google Reader feed, so I guess it works now.
Tell Laura that it sounds like her tomatoes have "blossom end rot". I think it has something to do with not having enough calcium in the soil. Maybe adding crushed eggshells would help.
Mwah, ha ha!! Thanks for the heads-up, Jen. I just now tried to add this to Google Reader again and this time it let me! Something was fixed...yay! :-)
Post a Comment