Nine years ago, when Ken and I were frantically trying to move out of our house (because of a quick 30-day escrow) and ridding ourselves of all our "stuff" since we had chosen to be full-time RVers and had no room for anything frivolous, we held a garage sale. Our daughter and "Netters" as she calls Linette, were in charge of our massive sale. Among my stuff was a half-finished cross-stitched quilt top which I felt I could never finish. (I started it when I was 18 when I was engaged to Ken who was away at school in Chicago.) Nearly forty years later I had been happily married and raised kids, gone back to school, enjoyed a career, etc. etc. and was much too busy for such things as finishing a quilt top. (Little did I know that a couple years down the road I'd be so into quilting.) So I told them to sell it. Precious Linette grabbed it out of my hands and said "No way! I'll take it and some day maybe I'll even finish it for you." Two years later, when the dust had settled, I asked for it back. And to make a long story shorter I got it back from my daughter who had worked on it along with my granddaughter and was going to surprise me with it all finished some day. (I later completed the cross-stitching and had it hand-quilted by a wonderful Amish woman, and now it's on our bed!)
To say "Thank you, Linette" I've been working on this tole-painted box this week. It will soon be ready to send to her with much gratitude and appreciation for saving my quilt from the garage sale.
It needs several more coats of varnish and the inside needs work before I can call it finished, but I think she'll like it.

3 comments:
Aww, maaa. I have tears after reading that nice post. The box is beautiful and Netters will just love it. What a nice tribute to a great friend to my sister!
Very sweet post maaa. I know she will absolutely love it. It is nice having her as a "best friend in the whole wide world"! Your quilt ended up looking awesome too! I'm sure glad we didn't sell it for peanuts in the garage sale.
Here! Here! To Linette!! She's got to be a very smart girl and one with foresight to realize not to sell that quilt in a garage sale! Love that box J.E. , very beautiful! I'm sure "Netters" will love it too. That is a very nice and I'm sure well deserved tribute to JJ's "best friend in the whole wide world".
Post a Comment