Sunday, September 07, 2008

We're Smokin' in Cascadia

At least that's what we did today! It was Gary and Cecile's turn to prepare our evening meal. They got the smoker going early for tonight's pork chops. And tomorrow, when it's our turn to make dinner, we were going to grill salmon for dinner and they suggested using the smoker to make better use of the charcoal, plus we all love smoked salmon. And since Cecile volunteered to brine the two meats, there's no way I could turn that offer down! The smoker got started about 4 o'clock this afternoon. We enjoyed sipping our wine around the campfire, like we've done the last week or so, while at the same time our dinner for tonight and tomorrow night slowly smoked to perfection.

Gary and Cecile are a good team, working together to prepare dinner tonight.

These pork chops were just delicious, so moist and smoky flavored.

And doesn't tomorrow's dinner look scrumptious? Nothing like smoked salmon . . . the Thompsons taught us to smoke it for just a couple hours to keep it moist, and we like it better that way too!

Here's a view from down in the yard below the deck looking up at our travel rig. It's a 25' Holiday Rambler perfect for the two of us! When we're at Camp Cascadia we use it only for cooking and sleeping since we have a larger space in the pole barn for the art studio/quilt shop and wood shop.

This fire pit is perfect for safe fires in our forest-bordered property. We've really enjoyed using it this summer.

Life is good!

4 comments:

TravelingGrammy said...

Looks so good! Salmon is the best when smoked the Thompson way. (My freezer is stuffed with salmon ready for smoking). Have you finished the P&J production for now? I'm moving up to WB tomorrow into the County park-don't know if I'll have internet. Thanks for all the positive comments about my blog!

jennavar said...

Yummy... that looks so good! PDV slow-cooked some brats on the BBQ today and they were so yummy too.

Those pork chops and salmon look awesome. It is so nice to have dinner all ready for tomorrow night. As you know PDV's cooking style, we too have meat ready for what seems like the next two weeks.

Gary & Cecile Thompson said...

The pork chops were some of the best I have ever had. Last night the salmon went into a pesto pasta dish that was to die for. I'm going to miss these wonderful meals we've been having here!

Laura said...

I must learn all these wonderful cooking tips. Everything looks so good I wish I was there. I love looking in on your travels.
Laura