Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Astro's Starting Pitcher

CD's baseball season is off to a good start—he is playing on the Astros team this year!

The first game was played last night, beginning at 7 p.m., with CD positioned as starting pitcher. How proud (and anxious) we felt . . . and he did real well pitching two innings and striking
out two players! The game at his level is played with only three runs allowed per team per inning. The game goes for one hour and forty five minutes unless an "open inning" is called toward the end of that time. Open inning is where the kids are allowed to make as many runs as they are able before three outs are called. We thought the game was over, with the score 9 to 8 Astros, both teams were ready to call it quits, however the game was thrown into an open inning (which would mean the game could go really late —it was already 8:45 p.m. and these kids are 7-9 year-olds—not that we were exhausted too).

So we decided to leave and find out the final score in the morning. We found out they didn't get home until a bit after 10 o'clock last night. The good news is the Astros won 12 to 10! Needless to say, the starting pitcher was pretty sleepy this morning!

There is such a difference in size of this league compared to JD's league, but the players are just as serious about the game. It is such a joy to watch as they improve from week to week.

He's got a good swing too . . . he's a great hitter!

Life is good!


5 comments:

Farmer Jen said...

I love that first photo. He is so serious and totally focused.

jennavar said...

What a game! It is so fun to see the difference in the two teams that JD and CD are on. To think that CD was on Coach-pitched last year and here he is this year pitching.. who knew. It was a surprise to me also since PD is the one who goes to his practices. What a long night...makes me thankful to be homeschooling this year!

Thanks for the post and for coming to the game.

BeBopGrammie said...

I love that picture of CD on the mound...he looks so handsome and so tall and sereeeeeeeeeous. NICE.

Aunt Patty said...

Very handsome, professional looking pitcher that J.D., Boy, I would love to see one of his games. I bet it is sooooo fun! I'd most likely be hoarse afterwards. His batting stance looks awesome also. That's one mighty fine boy we have for a "great" great-nephew.

Aunt Patty said...

Now I see it is CD!! I really should have read the story a little slower, it just looked so much like J.D. Well, the thing is I can say the same things about them both, because what I said really fits them both. Those are mighty fine boys we have for great nephews!!