Monday, February 22, 2010
Small Animal Expo 2010
Yesterday was a miserably cold and dismal day . . . weather-wise, that is. Other than that it was another adventure in the life of KL and her 4-H chapter because it was the annual Small Animal Expo at the Madera County Fairgrounds. The four of us (Jen, KL, Ken and I) hopped in the truck and were there by noonish and didn't leave until nearly five in the afternoon. The event was held in a covered outside arena so it was pretty darn cold all day, but the excitement of the show warmed our hearts, seeing the kids try their hardest to earn a medal for their hats. There were three categories of animals being shown: rabbits, chickens, and dogs. KL and "Elwood" performed in front of the judges as she was being tested for her knowledge of rabbits in Level 1 (of four levels).
Patiently waiting for the judges to come, KL and Elwood snuggle to keep warm—see Elwood peaking out of her jacket?
KL has such confidence in her knowledge of rabbits, she was relaxed and well poised and seemed perfectly comfortable talking with the judge. There are proper procedures to follow when being judged. Here she is standing in front of the judge holding the rabbit facing her body with her left hand under the rump and her right hand on the rabbit's back.
Checking the legs and nails, and then the hocks checking for thin fur padding and bare spots as well as sore hocks.
Since none of us had anything for lunch, we were famished! Jen treated us to dinner at Burrito King in Madera.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
The day looked great, even if it was cold. From KL's cute braid and her beautiful smile, to that darlin' rabbit, to the tasty margaritas. I'd say it was a great day indead!
Great job capturing a great day (yet very rainy and cold) from beginning to end. I missed a lot of KL's showmanship portion so it was nice to see it in the pictures. Thanks again for coming and driving!
Good Job KL!! And love your stories about her 4-H adventures!
Congratulation K.L. and Elwood!! I'm sooo proud of you both, I know I would love Elwood too! I sure like your hair with the beautiful braid KL, you get prettier every time your grandma takes your picture it seems. Sure miss you,
Post a Comment