Monday, June 30, 2008

So Long Newport, Oregon

We've had a wonderfully relaxing time in this pretty Oregon beach town. It's know for its boating, fishing, clamming and crabbing, Yaquina Bay Bridge and Lighthouse, and Mo's chowder house. Today we went into town for our last bowl of chowder before we leave for Cascadia tomorrow. The weather has been sweatshirt-cool, yet sunny and breezy the whole time we've been here. We're ready for some warmer summer-like weather.

A sunny day at Yaquina Head Lighthouse, Newport, Oregon

Foggy day at Yaquina Bay Bridge

Yaquina Bay Marina where we spent the afternoon having lunch at Mo's followed by watching a chartered fishing boat come in and unload. We caught ourselves drooling over lots of bottom fish and crab brought in by the smiling fisher-persons!

Then we headed back to our campsite with beautiful woods and "Rhodies" blooming everywhere. Each spring the wild rhododendrons bloom in the hills, fields, and forests of Oregon as they have been doing for over 1,000 years. And the white-to-pink flowers still represent the end of winter and the imminent arrival of summer.

This variety looks like giant pop-corn balls.

Absolutely stunning!

Some of these clusters are 8" in diameter.

Life is good!




6 comments:

Aunt Patty said...

Beautiful "Rhodies". I'd love to take some clippings. Wonder how they'd do in Big Pine. Nice pics, really like the light house too!

Middle America Mom said...

Wow! Love those flowers!! Your camping spot looks lovely too. What a great little town!

jennavar said...

Those Rhodies are absolutely stunning! I love going up the Oregon Coast. It is so breathtaking and really good drive-thru coffee places too. Those pictures are awesome too maa!

Laura said...

I love your flower pictures. Thanks for sharing.....
Laura

kalebsmum said...

Great pics...I love all the colors of the rhodies...

You'll need to let me know how long your stay will be at "camp"

Danni said...

Wow, those rhodie pics are stunning! Nice job!
We love going camping along the coast in our trailer - our favorite spot is the Nehalem Bay Campground a bit south of Manzanita and north of Wheeler. No beach view, but you can hear it..and also, when I'm lucky, the horses at the neighboring horse camp! :-)

So, I tried adding your blog to Google reader where I've got all my other favorite blogs I like to read posted. It will alert me every time a new post is added to those blogs. Unfortunately, every time I try to add you, repeatedly I get the same error: "No feed available for "http://www.tolewoman.blogspot.com/." Do you have any idea why?

Drive safely! And thanks for all your nice comments on my blog! :-)