Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sew what?

Daughter Jen volunteered to get her mom (that would be me) to help her make three dresses needed for costumes for a play she is "starring" in next weekend at Sierra Pines Church. That's pretty funny, because she's the one, as a teenager learning to sew, who would get really ticked off if I made her take a seam apart should it need to be sewn correctly. She also remembered the story I told her of when I was a small child in fourth grade, I volunteered my dad to make match-stick furniture for a miniature log cabin. (My dad had no clue of constructing match-stick furniture, but together we managed to come up with two chairs and a table.)

Fast-forward nearly sixty years . . . I found some inexpensive (meaning it was quite thin, and raveled excessively) gingham at Walmart and a pattern that I could adapt to the three sizes needed for the dresses. I took my sewing machine up to Jen's so that we could "mass-produce" the dresses in order for her to have them for dress-rehearsal in three days. Remember, Jen is a stay-at-home mom who is also home-schooling her three children
, and she is catching the kids up on work needed to be finished in the next couple weeks. So it was obvious to me that she was not going to be much help in the sewing department!

However, as the kids finished up their work, they were curious as to the mass of fabric and patterns and pins and sewing being done, and expressed an interest in learning to sew. I put two of them to work, and with yards of straight sewing to be done, they helped out quite a bit. (Jen did have a bit of time to help the second day.) KL got out their sewing machine so we had two machines going for a couple of hours and, together with JD, we got all three dresses finished. Actually CD helped too . . . he was our model for the smaller sized dresses. He refused to let me take his picture in a dress, however . . . I believe his words were "No way, Grammy!"

Now I'm anxiously waiting to hear that they all fit.


KL took some sewing classes this last year at Mountain Home School. She was quite comfortable at the sewing machine. She didn't mind me telling her some of the stitches had to be removed and re-sewn—she wanted her sewing to be perfect. She's such a neat kid!

JD liked handling the machine, and did a great job. Next time he said he wants to turn the speed dial up so he can sew a bit faster. What a cool kid he is.

Life is good!

5 comments:

Middle America Mom said...

How fun to get the whole family involoved. How funny that Jen volunteered you to make THREE dresses! How cool that you did it!

jennavar said...

You are such an awesome mom! They looked so great on stage. I only had to clip one dress because the sleeves were too small but I'M going to add a small panel to the clipped piece just so it won't unravel. The other dresses fit perfect! Heather (Director) absolutely loved the dresses! There is a new gingham theme to the stage.

I really think the kids had fun sewing. KL is much like you in wanting it to be right. I think JD takes after me with... how do we get this machine to go faster?! That was a great learning lesson for them. I wish we CD would have let you take a picture of him. He looked so cute.. it was hard not to laugh. But he is a smart boy, knowing where those pictures might end up.

Love you lots and lots!

kalebsmum said...

Wow... I only take out my machine when something needs to be fixed ;o)

I didn't realize that Jen is homeschooling all of the kids, I thought that it was just K that was homeschooled...

TravelingGrammy said...

Such a neat project! I can't wait till my grandkids are old enough to help with a project like that. Cassidy is already "working" with scissors=maybe I need to come up with some sewing projects a 3 year old could do....

Danni said...

It just goes to show you that teaching our kids really is a family affair! So wonderful of you to be willing and able to share your sewing skills with them - it's something they won't ever forget, you know.