Friday, May 01, 2009

He can still make me laugh!

After nearly forty-six years of being married to my best friend, I'm amazed I still laugh at his pranks. Now this story may seem absolutely silly to you, but I know there is a grin on my face even as I'm writing it.

You all know that we are full-time RVers and live in confined spaces, be it the 40' rig parked at our home base in Park Sierra, or even more so in our 25' rig or our pop-up camper when we're on the road. Our morning routine of getting ready for our day, after breakfast, is pretty much the same. One of us gets ready, using the bathroom/bedroom area, then it's the next one's turn. Depending on who goes in first, either I make the bed or Ken makes the bed. Normally I'm the one that gets dressed first and this is the way the bed looks when I'm finished. My doll, whom I call "Sarah Plain and Tall," is one that I bought years and years ago from an Amish woman. (I think it was at that time I yearned to live a more simple lifestyle.) Anyway, Sarah sits on "my" side of the bed always.


Here she is posed the way she normally sits on the bed. . . unless Ken gets in there first. . . and then I'm often surprised at her position . . . sometimes she has on my visor . . . other times she's worn my flip-flops . . . sometimes her legs are crossed (and I'm sure Amish girls don't do that) . . . what an imagination he has, and how creative he can be.

Me? I just always put her in her place, and that's that! No big deal! So the other morning I walked into the bathroom and out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Sarah, and I instantly cracked up!




Here she is, as if saying "Can I play outside today?"

I probably laughed out loud for a good three minutes. I hope you, at least, have a smile on your face!

Life is good, especially married to your best friend!

7 comments:

jennavar said...

What a great story! I laughed outloud and then the kids had to come and see what I was laughing at. Silly Daddy.. I love the way you make my Mommy laugh. Did your face get really red and then he touched your nose and you laughed until you cried?? I love that memory too! I'm sure Sarah Plain and Tall enjoys the jokes too!

Farmer Jen said...

That is very sweet and romantic. I sure did smile. Even chuckled a little.

Middle America Mom said...

That crazy dad of mine! I cracked up when I saw the picture. I love that Jenn commented about you laughing so hard that just touching your nose made you laugh even harder. He's always been able to get you going with his silly/dumb dad jokes.

TravelingGrammy said...

Such a great story-and, gives a little glimmer of what goes on between you too! Ahh, memories!

A.J. said...

Hilarious! I'm still laughing too!

It does, however, look just a tad bit morbid, as if Sarah Plain and Tall decided to do herself in with the help of the venetian blind cord.

Danni said...

Awww...loved the story, love the humor between the two of you and I really *love* the comments of your kids and the way they recognize and appreciate how much you two adore each other. Yes, I'm smiling. :-)

Aunt Patty said...

It's great the way K makes you laugh, keeps those endorphines circulating! Increases longevity too!